Walney to Whitby (W2W) advice and discussion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
So after WOTR last year me and a mate are planning another and have (semi) decided on W2W.
I've found some information online about the route however not a great deal compared to other C2C's with some conflicting advice.
Then plan is to use road bikes however some sites state its too 'off road' whilst others say not so much and would be fine.
We will be camping and riding roughly 60/70 miles a day, over 4 days with potential for a B&B in Whitby before riding back to Hull on the last day.

Just wondering if anyone has done this who can advise on suitable ness of the planned bikes in terms of terrain and carrying camping gear in handlebar and seatpost bags. We won't be cooking which will keep weight down and are both happy with just a sleeping bag in the tent.

Any campsite recommendations? my mate wants to stealth camp but not sure if im too comfortable with that plus will want to charge phones/gps units at some point.
And recommendations on the route in general would be good from you lovely cyclechat lot as like I say, I can't find a great deal of info around it.

Thanks in advance

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You can get the gpx files here then explore in detail, in mapping of your choice.

https://www.cycle-england.co.uk/en/rides/rides-in-cumbria/walney-to-wear-or-whitby/

HelenD123

Guru
Any campsite recommendations? my mate wants to stealth camp but not sure if im too comfortable with that plus will want to charge phones/gps units at some point.
And recommendations on the route in general would be good from you lovely cyclechat lot as like I say, I can't find a great deal of info around it.

Thanks in advance
Take a power pack so you aren't reliant on finding charging points every day. I took one for a week in the Outer Hebrides and it charged my phone and Garmin watch for the whole week.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Depends on the "road bike" - if you can get 28mm or 30mm tyres on it and have an alloy seat post you can swap in to attach your rear luggage bag to, then it should be both suitable for the proposed luggage and cope with the surface.

the worst bit of surface (which sustrans advises) is shown here: Streetview shows you each end, its doable on 28mm tyres with care.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/5...39!2m2!1d-2.0701377!2d54.4871329!3e1?hl=en-GB

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Thanks guys.
I've been looking at power banks and the folding solar panels which seem a good choice and worth the added weight.
Rear luggage bag will be fine, used the same bike for a C2C last year and has an alloy post (rest of bike is carbon), handlebars are also alloy.
Streetview is helpful and I think I will be able to squeeze 28mm's on, its disc brake and has a fair bit of clearance. Worst case scenario the bikes get walked a bit it seems, as long as its not on and off constantly for the full route.

If I can get some bits to upgrade my mtb before we go I may consider that as my mate has a hybrid he is debating using.

Top Bottom