Wandering walkers and irresponsible dog walkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
Anyone else observed the "wandering walker" on a cycle path the type Im meaning are the sort that dont hear your call due to being in a trance and rather than walk in a straight line rather they waiver from left to right or if they are with someone between the two of them dont know whther to go lef or right.

Then there are the dog walkers worst type in my opinion dog is off lead and then there is the half hearted "here timmy come here boy" dog then usually makes a bee-line for your wheels ending in a near collision.

One I had a few weeks ago two people with dog loud shout of "coming through" from me they moved obviously hearing me only for the big daft dug to come bounding over from the other side of the path owner then sarcastically goes "ting ting ting" to which I pointed out that I shouted to him and he heard that ok and told him to conrtrol his dog properly.

Cyclist33

Yeah! I totly agree. When I'm in front of my pc I'll elaborate.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Get this all the time.... Bells don't have much effect when they are wearing earphones for their MP3 players!

As for the ones that are in a group, walking towards you and covering the whole width of the path. Surely they can see you coming, so why do they wait until you have had to stop before they can be bothered to move a couple of feet to let you through?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Slow down, cover your brakes, take a bit of care - avoids most problems, ime, and I navigate my way through iPodded students every evening.

If you don't want to reduce your speed now and then, don't use shared paths. Especially not on sunny days.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Get this all the time.... Bells don't have much effect when they are wearing earphones for their MP3 players!

As for the ones that are in a group, walking towards you and covering the whole width of the path. Surely they can see you coming, so why do they wait until you have had to stop before they can be bothered to move a couple of feet to let you through?

God yes! and then its the gormless smile/grimace even hello when your grinding your teeth thinking get out the f***in way you t*ats!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Cane Bell Suzu'll do it - lovely sonorous tone too.
Cheery shout of "Make a gap, please!" works for me.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Slow down, cover your brakes, take a bit of care - avoids most problems, ime, and I navigate my way through iPodded students every evening.

If you don't want to reduce your speed now and then, don't use shared paths. Especially not on sunny days.

Always slow and cover brakes its just the feeling of being invisible to some of them local cycle path dog walkers are supposed to have dogs on a lead too! ;)

Norm

God yes! and then its the gormless smile/grimace even hello when your grinding your teeth thinking get out the f***in way you t*ats!
They have priority so how about taking reasonable care rather than giving them the excuse to consider all cyclists are as obnoxious as you appear to be.

Or maybe...
Anyone else observed the "cyclist" on a road the type Im meaning are the sort that dont hear your engine due to being in a trance and rather than cycle in the gutter rather they ride in the middle of the road or if they are with someone between the two of them dont know whther to go lef or right.

One I had a few weeks ago two cyclist loud toot on my horn of "coming through" from me they moved ...

Chutzpah

Über Member
As John the Monkey says, if you want to go fast use a different route.

I find a cheery hello works wonders, better than a bell in my opinion. I only have the very odd person that grumbles "should have used your bell sooner", but they're very much in the minority.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand people that don't control their dogs, and also those with the long expanding leads taking up the width of the path (anyone fancy being garotted?) but in most cases when they have nearly had me off in reflection I probably didn't give them enough warning of my approach.

Basically, expect that they'll do something that means you'll hit them/the animal and you're usually fine.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
They have priority so how about taking reasonable care rather than giving them the excuse to consider all cyclists are as obnoxious as you appear to be.

Or maybe...

+1, pedestrians have priority on shared paths. You are capable of slowing down, giving them plenty of space and overtaking safely. If not, well, maybe you shouldn't use the same path as them. Think to yourself, "I am an ambassador for the local cycling lobby, I must not act like a d1ck." Because the chances are that the dog walker you have just annoyed will meet you later, with their dog in the car. So don't be a kn0b, for your own safety.

jonesy

Guru
I think we need a "sticky" thread with the simple title "Pedestrians have priority on ALL shared use paths"...

snorri

Legendary Member
A collie attempted to round me up this afternoon, the owner had no control whatsoever and looked a bit sheepish when I suggested his dog should be on a lead in a public space if he couldn't control it.

Edit to clarify, this was not on a shared use path or any other sort of path.

Top Bottom