Wandering walkers and irresponsible dog walkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
Jesus Christ guys, if you've really nothing else to do but this, I've got a really big garden with which I could do with some help.....

Jesus Christ guys, if you've really nothing else to do but this, I've got a really big garden with which I could do with some help.....

Whereabout in france are you and can you provide free board and lodging. And do you have sky sports.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
With the issue if shred use paths cyclists, pedestrians and dogs, as with most things in life I find virtually all problems can be negated by the judicious application of courtesy, care and consideration for other people. If you ride your bike like a road warrior trying to get a kidney to the hospital for transplant and if one walks ones dogs with an eye out for traffic rather than aproaching a dog walk like an afternoon of hare coursing, and god knows even smile and sayhello to one another then none of the problems talked about in this thread need ever come to anything unsavory. I think the above are reasonable adjustments to make for the advantages ofo having paths in our cities that are available to people in this way. A dog off the lead really is not the massive problem that some here would have us believe as long as one is riding sensibly and not in a bubble of ones own entitlement. Quoting the hc is all well and good but there are other hazards on these paths for cyclists such as small children who are in some instances even less aware of the dangers of traffic and more likely to step out in front of a bike than a dog. If one rides in a way that necessitates emergency stops and swerves into the hedge for a dog it can only be a matter of time before such dramatic evasiv manouevers have to be employed to avoid a todler or other vulnerable pedestrian.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
With the issue if shred use paths cyclists, pedestrians and dogs, as with most things in life I find virtually all problems can be negated by the judicious application of courtesy, care and consideration for other people.

I find, if people stick to the "rules" then there is no need for any extra courtesy, care and consideration.

Highway code.

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.

Cycle Tracks. ... Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary...

There we go job done!

I follow, No 62, I expect others to follow No 56. So far all I see is, on the shared paths No 56 being totally ignored, and here lots of people going "yes but... " whilst coming up with reasons why they can ignore No 56.

he didnt suggest 'extra' courtesy, he suggested courtesy, which is the same as rule 56 and 62

Cyclopathic was not speaking with reference to the hc rules.
Little yellow brompton is making the point that , with refernce to the hc rules :
"if people stick to the "rules" then there is no need for any extra courtesy, care and consideration."
ie - extra to that allready provided in the hc rules.
In arguing for courtesy you are fundamentally supporting lybs view that dog owners who fail to abide by the hc rules are at fault (which obviously they are)
The wider point remains that cyclists are hardly without sin themselves so we should all just get on as best we can together.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I find, if people stick to the "rules" then there is no need for any extra courtesy, care and consideration.

Highway code.

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.

Cycle Tracks. ... Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary...

There we go job done!

I follow, No 62, I expect others to follow No 56. So far all I see is, on the shared paths No 56 being totally ignored, and here lots of people going "yes but... " whilst coming up with reasons why they can ignore No 56.

If you read what I said you'll notice that I do not "totally" ignore rule 56. I let my dog off thelead where there is ample green space either side for him to run around on, which is what he does for the most part. Aprt from that I'd rather live in a world where people were considerate first and sticklers for rules for rules sake a long way down the list. I fail to see why you let yourself get so upset about this or why you can't find the magnanimity in you just to let people let their dogs run about without being such a sourpus about it. If your willing to slow down for children and the infirm how much more does it stretch your generosity to offer the same kindness to dogs. How much does it really affect your life or come to that even your journey time if once in a while you have to take care not to hit a dog? I'd bet not very much. The benifit for dog walkers to be able to let their dogs have a bit of a frolic outwieghs any percieved inconvenience to people who have to slow down a bit.

doog

edited for the sake of board harmony

(the subject has been done to death
biggrin.gif
)

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
If you read what I said you'll notice that I do not "totally" ignore rule 56. I let my dog off thelead where there is ample green space either side for him to run around on, which is what he does for the most part. Aprt from that I'd rather live in a world where people were considerate first and sticklers for rules for rules sake a long way down the list. I fail to see why you let yourself get so upset about this or why you can't find the magnanimity in you just to let people let their dogs run about without being such a sourpus about it. If your willing to slow down for children and the infirm how much more does it stretch your generosity to offer the same kindness to dogs. How much does it really affect your life or come to that even your journey time if once in a while you have to take care not to hit a dog? I'd bet not very much. The benifit for dog walkers to be able to let their dogs have a bit of a frolic outwieghs any percieved inconvenience to people who have to slow down a bit.

I didn't say you did totally ignore it, I had you down as "...people going "yes but... " whilst coming up with reasons why they can ignore No 56."

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Everyone will be pleased to know I have used the cycle path several times sice the thread was started and have exchanged pleasantries with dog walkers, ramblers and horse riders. However Im going to through a hand grenade in ...... a family of cyclists with a dog not on a lead that was going haywire...:whistle:

Top Bottom