Wandering walkers and irresponsible dog walkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had my first view 'from the other side' a month ago when visiting a friend and his new 3 yr old rescue dog. Walking it he was on the lead constantly whilst being taught to heel which he mostly did and my friend had took a plastic bag with him. We only met 2 cyclists and they went a different way, but with smaller children/other dogs around my friend was heeling his dog. Sound behavior so far I thought.

But it was only good until mutley laid out the smelliest poo I have ever smelt :angry: It was like the waste pipes at chernobyl had been emptied, at which point my friend said 'blow that', put his bag away and left the steaming mess on the floor.

I think that highlights and makes something the RSPCA said ring true -

"Those critical of dogs behavior should look at the other end of the lead from time to time"

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Had my first view 'from the other side' a month ago when visiting a friend and his new 3 yr old rescue dog. Walking it he was on the lead constantly whilst being taught to heel which he mostly did and my friend had took a plastic bag with him. We only met 2 cyclists and they went a different way, but with smaller children/other dogs around my friend was heeling his dog. Sound behavior so far I thought.

But it was only good until mutley laid out the smelliest poo I have ever smelt :angry: It was like the waste pipes at chernobyl had been emptied, at which point my friend said 'blow that', put his bag away and left the steaming mess on the floor.

I think that highlights and makes something the RSPCA said ring true -

"Those critical of dogs behavior should look at the other end of the lead from time to time"

The definition of a dog lead " A length of chain, leather, rope or fabric, attached to an animal that leaves shoot everywhere on one end and occasionally a dog the other"

Little yellow Brompton

I walk my dog. I walk him off the lead. I let him shoot in public spaces which I them promptly pick up and dispose of in the nearest bin. If I see another walker with a dog off lead, he stays off lead. If I see another walker with dog on lead or simply by themselves, he goes on lead til we've passed.

I find the stereotype of dogs being EITHER out of control, shitting, aggressive, noisy or (fill in blank here) as wrong to make as the stereotypes that all cyclists red light jump, hold up traffic, don't pay road tax, and should stick to cycle paths.

Both stereotypes are, from my personal experience, incorrect. Of course there's always some from both groups that break the rule, but it's not far to tar everyone with the same brush.

Another who is quite happy to ignore the HC, but I presume you want cyclists to obey it by giving way to pedestrians ?

Presumably im "other guy" :hello:.
Yes i did point out that you calling little yellow brompton a troll was wrong - why ? because afaiaa lyb isnt a troll , at least afaiaaa in this context . Debate the issue like a responsible adult dont resort to name calling.
Still wont leave it ?. Im just dialoguing with you , fabian and lyb and now cyclopathic , presumably you would have preferred it if i had not entered the discussion at all.

Aaaargh. No, no, no. You're not "dialoguing", that's only a word insofar as politicians have made it up in order to make themselves appear more important in interviews. What you're doing is "talking". Well, not literally ...

doog

I'm still trying to work out how the council providing bins enables owners to put dogs on leads?Maybe they are made of the same magic metal as bike bells as it seems they have the same effect?

You have mentioned dog shoot in all but one post on this subject and are now dodging the subject of dog shoot ?? If I mentioned dogs leads you would probably ask me how they prevent dogs from shitting.

Its like banging your head against a brick wall.

Why do I love the fact that you look out of your office window and see dogs doing what dogs do
wave.gif

(enjoy your weekend and be careful where you tread
laugh.gif
)

doog

Yes i get the distinct impression that you have a low toleration point for people answering you back and giving opinions that are contrary to your own.
However this is a forum for open debate so i fear that you may occasionally find people dont allways just pat you on the head and say "oh what a lovely doogy".

Couldnt be further than the truth. I also post on a Leeds united forum and that gives me balls of steel, trust me. You carry on 'dialoguing' Emmanuel
thumbsup.png

The HC says, dogs should be on leads on cshared use paths, it also says cyclists should give way to pedestrains on shared use paths.

You have decided to ignore one part, how about the other, or do you pick and choose?

Ah, now I understand. It's actually you that has made the error, or the rather large assumption. I walk my dog over some large open fields. I don't think anyone would describe them as 'shared use paths' - it's just a field. The 'paths' that are there are the ones created simply by walking - I believe the term used for them a while ago were 'desire paths'.

So, assumption leads to everyone believing dog walkers are irresponsible, Cyclists are red light jumpers, and forum members like to argue. I think I'll try to disprove the full set by ending my input to this topic here.

Aaaargh. No, no, no. You're not "dialoguing", that's only a word insofar as politicians have made it up in order to make themselves appear more important in interviews. What you're doing is "talking". Well, not literally ...

Doogy was saying that i woudnt leave "it" alone - the word dialoguing suitably conveyed the meaning that the communication was a 2 way phenomenprocess. I was merely replying to doogy as part of a 2 way dialogue. If doogy had not replied to me then i would have not taken it further. Indeed i did not expect to post again beyong my single first post.
Pleasure dialoguing with you Rythm Theif.

Couldnt be further than the truth. I also post on a Leeds united forum and that gives me balls of steel, trust me. You carry on 'dialoguing' Emmanuel :thumbsup:

Given that invitation it would be rude not to.
Satisfy my curiosity then - why did you accuse little yellow brompton of being a troll given that in the same post you virtually aknowledge he isnt by recognising that he allways posts about dogs so he clearly does have a genuinely held opinion and is not just being mischeivously provocative.
:thumbsup:

doog

Read and re-read this - I genuinely don't understand your post?

he's quoting his obsession with an obscure part of the highway code that is both unenforceable and little known. He is countering this piece of 'advice' (for thats all it is) with the laws that exist regarding dangerous and careless cycling.

Being a cop you would know that these offences apply to a road and that the definition of a road includes a highway. As a responsible pedestrian, cyclist and dog walker I would like to see the definition of a road changed in these instances to include trailways and all other other public paths that are open to cyclists just in case they fall out of this definition.

Something needs to be done to slow the bully boy likes of Brompton down as they scatter old grannies . Although dogs off leads are a great deterrent to speeding cyclists we really do need the law changed and enforced. I find 2 jack russells on retractable leads great fun for slowing these morons.
wink.gif

doog

Given that invitation it would be rude not to.
Satisfy my curiosity then - why did you accuse little yellow brompton of being a troll given that in the same post you virtually aknowledge he isnt by recognising that he allways posts about dogs so he clearly does have a genuinely held opinion and is not just being mischeivously provocative.
:thumbsup:

Any mischief in his posts would surely be given away by a hint of humour - I cant find any so you may have a point.

Little yellow Brompton

he's quoting his obsession with an obscure part of the highway code that is both unenforceable and little known. He is countering this piece of 'advice' (for thats all it is) with the laws that exist regarding dangerous and careless cycling.

Being a cop you would know that these offences apply to a road and that the definition of a road includes a highway. As a responsible pedestrian, cyclist and dog walker I would like to see the definition of a road changed in these instances to include trailways and all other other public paths that are open to cyclists just in case they fall out of this definition.

Something needs to be done to slow the bully boy likes of Brompton down as they scatter old grannies . Although dogs off leads are a great deterrent to speeding cyclists we really do need the law changed and enforced. I find 2 jack russells on retractable leads great fun for slowing these morons.
wink.gif

Could I suggest you never take up debating or archery as interests?

Little yellow Brompton

Ah, now I understand. It's actually you that has made the error, or the rather large assumption. I walk my dog over some large open fields. I don't think anyone would describe them as 'shared use paths' - it's just a field. The 'paths' that are there are the ones created simply by walking - I believe the term used for them a while ago were 'desire paths'.

So, assumption leads to everyone believing dog walkers are irresponsible, Cyclists are red light jumpers, and forum members like to argue. I think I'll try to disprove the full set by ending my input to this topic here.

You are right, as this was a cycling forum, and the discussion was about shared use cycle routes , I made the assumption that you were making a point about dogs on said routes.
Bad me , bad , bad me!

Top Bottom