want a bike, can I ask for discount in shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think I'd especially expect my LBS to match an online price .. like Randochap says, you're buying their service and help as part of the package when you go to the LBS.

That's not to say they won't give you a discount or, as PorkyPete said, offer accessories or services to get the overall deal close to the online one. What you need to think about is everything that you're getting with each deal.

As an example, me and Mrs-LC bought our bikes from LBS a few years ago. We also wanted some bits and bobs - car rack, trail-gator, locks, helmets, etc. - and the shop could see we had two small children who are obviously going to need a number of new bikes as they grow. So they offered us 10% off the bikes, plus some of the accessories thrown in, servicing package and so on.

Obviously, it's in their interest to make us happy so we keep going back to get the kid's new bikes, buy accessories, spares, maintenance, maybe new bikes for us .. and all that. So when Mrs-LC went to get our newly prep'd bikes, they sorted out the rack on the car for her, mounted the Trail-Gator brackets on Littlest-LCs bike, and mine, showed Mrs-LC how it all worked and so on. All the stuff you'd expect from a decent LBS.

Since then, I've been back loads for help, advice, odd jobs done on my bike (which gets used far harder for commuting than I ever thought it would) and all that sort of thing. They've always been helpful, patiently answering my silly questions, offering tips, doing odd jobs for free and so on.

In turn, it's in our interest to keep them there so we can continue to benefit from the service they offer. So I tend to put as much business their way as I can .. I do buy stuff from Wiggle, Cycle Express, Chain Reaction, etc. but it tends to be either where it's more convenient to do that or if it's a lot cheaper; which, tbh, it ain't always.

What all that means is when I come to upgrade my commuter, I'll be going to the LBS first. And so the relationship continues ..

I see it as a long-term partnership where we both benefit and neither takes advantage of the other. And that's as it should be.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
you shouldn't be afraid to ask for a discount, start at 10% or ask for free things to be put on like a computer or bottle cages

the worst they can say is no :smile:

There are very small margins on bikes and we never give discounts - we don't need to. And at this time a lot of bike shops are seeing increased sales

You're more likely to get discount on accessories.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Hilldodger said:
There are very small margins on bikes and we never give discounts - we don't need to. And at this time a lot of bike shops are seeing increased sales

You're more likely to get discount on accessories.

very small margins :smile: i used to work at a bike shop and they make loads off bikes, when i got my madone f/s it was 1400 RRP but i got it for under 1000

MadoneRider1991 said:
very small margins ;) i used to work at a bike shop and they make loads off bikes, when i got my madone f/s it was 1400 RRP but i got it for under 1000

We'll it must have been high end stuff. Trouble is with a bike shop, you need a hell of a lot of space to stock your products.

Thing is with discounts, if you keep buying online the small LBS will close down and then you've lost the place you nip to for the emergency bits.

Or you could pop into Halfords............

Hilldodger said:
We'll it must have been high end stuff. Trouble is with a bike shop, you need a hell of a lot of space to stock your products.

Thing is with discounts, if you keep buying online the small LBS will close down and then you've lost the place you nip to for the emergency bits.

Or you could pop into Halfords............

Absolutely, as per my (lengthy) earlier post, that's why I use them as much as possible .. I rely on them too much to see them go.

ASC1951

Guru
Lazy-Commuter said:
I use them as much as possible .. I rely on them too much to see them go.
Me too. I use my LBS for everything I possibly can and only go online when they don't have it. As a result I get at about 10% off every time, automatically. I don't ask for it, they just do it.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
Randochap said:

no i dont work there anymore because of a little thing called the credit crunch :angry:

stop acting like you know everything!!

Top Bottom