Want a road bike with eyelets and disc brakes..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm now in the market for a road bike with eyelets for mud guards and disc brake's, the two I was looking at was the Cannondale Ultegra Snyapse Disc and the Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc, but reading the info and the Snyapse has no eyelets for mud guards so it's off the list.
So what else is there disc brakes and eyelets, I don't mind a 105 groupset.
Price range has an absolute top line of £2500.. around £2000/£2200 would be better?
Got any ideas..

vickster

Legendary Member
This one evidently does, £1500 with ultegra. Only 9kg :ohmy:

http://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/series/inflite-al.html

annirak

Veteran
Sounds like you're looking for something similar to my requirements. I've done up a big spreadsheet with a lot of options. Are you looking for a particular groupset? Cable or Hydraulic brakes? Carbon or Alu?
Two of my frontrunners are:
  • Cannondale Synapse 105 5 disc (Alu, cable disc, £999)
  • Cannondale CAADX SRAM Rival disc (Alu, Hydraulic disc, £1399)
Both have eyelets.

crazyjoe101

I was going to make this thread yesterday. I'm also after something sporty with mudguard eyelets but I also want rack mounts and larger clearance if possible. For all year road use.
I decided to build my own fom a framset and started off looking at the Planet X London Road (£300 frameset, £1,000 bike), then at the Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 (£450 frameset, £1,100 bike), and now I'm flirting with the possibility of a Ti frameset like the Kinesis Tripster ATR (£1,100 frameset, ~£2,000 bike). Unfortunately it seems each frameset I look at has its own little quirk(s) that put me off. I've linked the pre-built versions as it seems to be what you're after; the spec isn't great on them though, hence why I want to build one.

Also, why put this in Accessories? It might get a bit more attention in the bikes or components sections.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
He wants a roadbike though rather than cyclocross. Presumably for £2000, the expectation is light and quick on roads
the synapse 105 disc is a roadbike not a cyclocross

annirak

Veteran
Other than the tyres, what's the difference between CX and road?

The CAADX is a frame that's similar to the CAAD10, though not identical. The chainset is 36/46, rather than the more typical 34/50 on a road bike. If that's a huge problem then the difference between the £1399 for the CAADX and the OP's budget of £2000 will more than pay for a new chainset.

crazyjoe101

There are normally differences in geometry. Many CX manufacturers use a ~60mm BB drop as opposed to a ~70mm road drop, this gives a touch more ground clearance but also makes it slightly harder to get a foot down. The headtube length and angle tend to be a bit more relaxed as far as I recall, and the bike will probably be chunkier overall.
That said, some manufacturers use an almost road geometry for their CX bikes, and I can't load Cannondale's charts atm so I don't know about them.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I was also going to start a similar thread. My budget needs to be lower though!

I quite liked the Whyte RD7 Suffolk I saw yesterday...plenty of change too

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Cheers one and all for your quick replies..
Here's where I'm at.
Believe this or not but I road for the first time in the rain on my last visit to the UK a few weeks back on my Allez Comp and the first hill I came to I had a shock when I pulled on the brake's at the lack of braking there was going down hill, to be honest it put the wind up me a little bit, no quite a lot really so I need to change two of my bike's.
I have just got myself a Trek SL 8 Dura Ace but that will never see rain as long as I own it, this is for dry days only so no problem there, my other bike in Spain is a Trek Madone 5.2 which I going to sell more of that later.
In the UK I have a Specialized Crosstrail Comp which ain't a bad bike but I'm fed up with flat bars and the second bike is a Specialized Allez Comp which is more endurance based than the Allez Race and these are both in the UK..

I was going to buy some light weight mavic wheels for the Trek SL 8 but after this brake turnout this is what I want to do..
Instead of spending £750 on a set of wheels I am going to buy a new cyclecross bike perhaps the Cannondale Caadx 105 for a £1000 then sell the Madone 5.2 and the Allez comp and buy the road bike with eyelets and disc brakes?
So depending on what I get for the other two will depend on what I can spend.
Hope all that makes sense?

Top Bottom