Wanted: Chip shop style curry sauce recipes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've used both the Golden Curry and the Goldfish brands. Both tick the boxes for me in terms of taste.

Downside about the Golden is that it's pretty pricey for what it is, but it's very nice.

Nice to have the "made from scratch" recipe too ( thanks @classic33 ), will have to try that, it's all store cupboard ingredients.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
View attachment 384158
This is quite good,anything out of a box,I'm not keen on jars.Im a bit of a chippy curry conneseur !
Found this in Home Bargains... not bad... not bad at all... but not quite as good as Garry's. I need to top up on noodles so I'm off to the chinese supermarket to see what they have (which so far as i can tell, is six aisles of noodles).

PK99

Legendary Member
My local Chinese takeaway has been shut for nearly two years now and no other local chippy or takeaway does a curry sauce anywhere near as good as Gary's. I've not idea how to make a chippy style curry sauce but in the absence of a local takeaway to purchase one from... I'm gonna have to learn.

Anyone make their own chippy style curry sauce? ...preferably of the greeny-beige variety rather than the red stuff that the other local takeaways sell (its a tad too sweet and not quite spicy enough).

cheers :smile:

Take your pick:

https://goo.gl/7ZPDzx

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I've tried the Bisto version, I didn't rate it as good as the Goldfish brand.
You need to try them all and report back here with your verdict^_^
Just finished my tub of the Mayflower curry sauce mix and whilst it's not quite Garry's secret family recipe brand, it's pretty damn good. I'll be hunting for the Goldfish brand next, or whatever they have in the Chinese supermarket (if their instant noodles are anything to go by, there'll be about 400 brands and varieties).

Dave7

Legendary Member
Right @MontyVeda ....the blame lies squarely with you.
In my 70th year I have not had chip shop curry for 50 years.
After reading this thread I caved in and about to enjoy a late lunch of chip shop curry with chicken, rice and fresh chips.
This "chinese" makes its own sauces. I have just tasted it and award it a double yum award ^_^

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

... I'll be hunting for the Goldfish brand next, or whatever they have in the Chinese supermarket (if their instant noodles are anything to go by, there'll be about 400 brands and varieties).

I found at least ten varieties in the Chinese supermarket... purchased two; Goldfish concentrated and Maysan original curry sauce paste. Tried the goldfish, not bad at all but i think the Mayflower one is closer to Garry's secret family recipe. :smile:

Top Bottom