Wanting to race 4th cat in North Yorks - need a little help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James_York

Regular
Hi all..
I'm wanting to start road racing, obviously having to start in cat 4. Are there any series/circuits happening any time in the new year around the York/Leeds/Harrogate area? I only know of the Croft series, but it is a little far from me. Any links would be greatly appreciated...
Also, any tips/suggestions/recommendations?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There's the Wakefield circuit which is likely to have a few races on. Also the Leeds circuit will at Adel. York circuit has had some races this year, but they tend to be in March/April. The problem is the weather; it's not usually warm enough until March at the earliest. This year's kept being cancelled.

I don't know if you're in a club, but at this stage of the year it's about winter miles. Also there's winter 'chaingang' activities; the Wakefield BKat circuit runs an U16-1st cat chaingang every Tuesday 6-7.30pm. £2.50 to take part. There's 'fast' and 'faster' groups with the chance to keep fitness up. York/Leeds circuits may do the same.

Look on the British Cycling Yorkshire Facebook page as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/345856862099566 This is mostly youth-oriented at this time of year but changes once the new calendar is out.

If you're not experienced in group riding at speed please get experienced before racing. Otherwise it can be a mess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

James_York

Regular
Thanks for the reply DCLAne. Regarding experience in the pack and speed, I've got lots of that, having raced in other countries....just not in the UK.

Its more racing in the new year that I am interested in, wanting to get fitness/speed up before the season gets in to full swing, so none during the winter season, just long slogs on the turbo....

OP
OP
J

James_York

Regular
Smokin Joe, there arent any events listed yet for the upcoming season... it seems they are still waiting for events to be registered!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Down in the SW our date-fixing meetings are about to happen. Only then can we send our events to British Cycling,

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@James_York - I've picked this up from the Ride Like a Girl Facebook page:

SAVE THE DATES!
Behind the scenes Yorkshire Race organisers have been busy putting plans together for next season! So here's our Save the dates! We already know of 2 other races at Harvey Hadden too!
1st Feb LEEDS
8th Feb Wakefield
15th Feb LEEDS
22nd Feb Wakefield
29th Feb TBC
7th Mar LEEDS
14th Mar TBC
21st Mar LEEDS
28th Mar Wakefield
Format to include or be similar to:
Women Cat4 only & E1234 (with free entry to the 4th cat women racing in that)
Mens 3/4 & E123
To supplement this, for all of those looking to try racing for the first time were looking to put on our Ride Like A Girl Go-Race Day too! With a fully Coached skills session, a full walk through and chat of a race day and Q&A session and a chance to have a go at a BC race with all new starters, in a relaxed friendly atmosphere! Details to come soon for a Date in January!

Top Bottom