1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wark Forest Pennine Cycleway

Discussion in 'Touring and Expedition' started by Dr Smut, 16 Jul 2007.

1. Dr Smut

Dr Smut Active Member

Hello

Does anyone know the condition of the Sustrans route thru Wark Forest? The only info I can find is old and suggests you need tyres of 28 upwards. Is it better/ worse / same these days?

Quite nice over here 'off-radar' isnt it?
    :eek:

2. Hello :blush:
    Sorry I've no idea about your question! :eek:

3. Dr Smut

Dr Smut Active Member

Oh Kirstie, havent you got a 24 hour mtb mudfest to be at or something?!
    :eek:

4. Been there, done it, sent you an email since!
    I think you should come along and have a go next year and show that reprobate FM how it's done!! :eek:

Where's Wark Forest anyway?

5. Tony

Tony New Member

By Wark.....

6. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Found this, hope it's useful:

Wark Forest
    The section through Wark Forest from milemarker 62 to 65 (PCW north map) has seen some work on the surface in 2002. This section is quite rough and NOT suitable for road bikes (unless you like fixing punctures!), the minimum tyre width should ideally be 28/30 mm. I have rode it whilst on the Trailblazing ride and was told there was 3 punctures out of the first ten to ride this section. Mountain bikes and well shod hybrids will excell on this section but there is really no realistic other way round so the skinny tyre brigade should exercise caution here.
    Paddy O'Kelly has this to say ' First, I think it should be made clearer that the off road part through Wark forest is NOT suitable for road bikes. I did it on 28mm touring tyres and I'd say thats the minimum you should have. As this is the only off road bit for which there is no alternative, this section dictates the choice of bike, in my opinion. Some of our group tried on racing tyres and we had 2 punctures in quick succession'

7. Dr Smut

Dr Smut Active Member

Thanks Keith, Id found those statements but was wondering if there was anymore recent intelligence. Sustrans Ncl office dont seem to exist anymore or else Id give them a ring.
    Cheers.

8. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

http://www.cycle-routes.org/penninecycleway/off_road.htm

There is also a peronal account:
    http://www.cycle-routes.org/penninecycleway/pauls_journal.htm

Is this the same site you were reading?