Wark Forest Pennine Cycleway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dr Smut

Hello

Does anyone know the condition of the Sustrans route thru Wark Forest? The only info I can find is old and suggests you need tyres of 28 upwards. Is it better/ worse / same these days?

Quite nice over here 'off-radar' isnt it?
:eek:

Hello :blush:
Sorry I've no idea about your question! :eek:

Keith Oates

Janner
Found this, hope it's useful:

Wark Forest
The section through Wark Forest from milemarker 62 to 65 (PCW north map) has seen some work on the surface in 2002. This section is quite rough and NOT suitable for road bikes (unless you like fixing punctures!), the minimum tyre width should ideally be 28/30 mm. I have rode it whilst on the Trailblazing ride and was told there was 3 punctures out of the first ten to ride this section. Mountain bikes and well shod hybrids will excell on this section but there is really no realistic other way round so the skinny tyre brigade should exercise caution here.
Paddy O'Kelly has this to say ' First, I think it should be made clearer that the off road part through Wark forest is NOT suitable for road bikes. I did it on 28mm touring tyres and I'd say thats the minimum you should have. As this is the only off road bit for which there is no alternative, this section dictates the choice of bike, in my opinion. Some of our group tried on racing tyres and we had 2 punctures in quick succession'

OP
OP
D

Dr Smut

Thanks Keith, Id found those statements but was wondering if there was anymore recent intelligence. Sustrans Ncl office dont seem to exist anymore or else Id give them a ring.
Cheers.

Paddy O'Kelly has this to say ' First, I think it should be made clearer that the off road part through Wark forest is NOT suitable for road bikes. I did it on 28mm touring tyres and I'd say thats the minimum you should have. As this is the only off road bit for which there is no alternative, this section dictates the choice of bike, in my opinion. Some of our group tried on racing tyres and we had 2 punctures in quick succession'
http://www.cycle-routes.org/penninecycleway/off_road.htm

There is also a peronal account:
Don’t be dismayed by the surface you meet as you enter Wark Forest. This forest road was built for logging trucks. The surface is solid but consists of sharp, large stones. Setting off at a pace down the hill could lead to disaster or punctures so take it easy. This surface lasts for perhaps 2½ miles before joining tarmac all the way to Bellingham. The first section in Wark Forest could be difficult for road bikes and is the one section where I wished I were using off-road tyres. It doesn’t last long. Once out of the forest the road sweeps along falling and climbing gently for mile after mile until about 3 miles before Bellingham you encounter a steepish climb. Hit the top and you are rewarded with a FAST downhill into Bellingham – look out for the hard right at the bottom!
http://www.cycle-routes.org/penninecycleway/pauls_journal.htm

Is this the same site you were reading?

Top Bottom