Warm up before cycling.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
What do you do before going out on your bike if anything at all..
Some people l know just get on there bike and go, myself l like to do a few minutes of stretching exercise's ... is there any benifit in doing exercising before cycling

nickg

Über Member
I go straight out, but I use a very low gear for a mile or two and spin so I get warm, once warm I let the.hammer go lol.

snorri

Legendary Member
I suppose it depends on why you are going cycling.
Going to the pub or shops? Going for a leisurely day trip? Taking part in a competitive event? Starting out on a four week tour?
The cycling is the exercise for me.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I commute 7 miles each way, no time for warm ups.I've had to go hell for leather recently just to get warm.
On a longer ride like I'll be on in a couple of hours I try to take the first few miles easy but rarely do. Naughty me!

uclown2002

Guru
Some people l know just get on there bike and go, myself l like to do a few minutes of stretching exercise's ... is there any benifit in doing exercising before cycling

I just go and ride. Stretching cold muscles is not a good idea!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's a bad idea(static stretching), but dynamic stretching can be done before a ride.

Simple stuff like running on the spot for a few mins. Visualise a marker point and aim to hit a different height with your knee every 20secs. This is a good representation of the pedal stroke so it's reasonably specific, should also get your HR going too(increasing HR is a component of a warmup)

Go ride then do your proper stretching(as low as possible ie: in the floor).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There was an article in a cycle mag a bit back that siad research had shown that prestretching can reduce the time to exhaustion of muscles.The competitive cyclists would do pre ride warm up on turbos etc but for mere mortals i think as already stated take it easy till your engine warms up.
Post ride stretching can reduce DOMS , muscle tightness and the chance of injury.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
There was an article in a cycle mag a bit back that siad research had shown that prestretching can reduce the time to exhaustion of muscles.The competitive cyclists would do pre ride warm up on turbos etc but for mere mortals i think as already stated take it easy till your engine warms up.
Post ride stretching can reduce DOMS , muscle tightness and the chance of injury.
But increase the likelihood of injury?

Cheese and butter!

PK99

Legendary Member

whichever way i go out there are a few slow miles through suburbs- i use those as a gentle war up

The way I think is ...........

The first quarter of the ride is the warm up.
The last quarter is the cool down.
The bit in the middle is the fun part.

How well this works in practice is .......... :whistle:

Top Bottom