Warm up before cycling.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danjanoob

Its crazy how many people dont seem to realise the benefits of having a stretch before a ride. Stretching and exercise are different things.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
no stretching for me whether commute or longer ride, I try to take it easy to start with (does not always work this way :whistle: ) til warmed up....then stretch after the ride....stretching after a ride helps me no end with post ride aches and pains.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Its crazy how many people dont seem to realise the benefits of having a stretch before a ride. Stretching and exercise are different things.
What benefits are there to forcibly manipulating cold muscle tissue? Where cold muscle tissue isn't it's most pliable state.

Norry1

Legendary Member
No pre-ride stretches. I should do a bunch of stretches afterwards but rarely do.

If I was about to do say a competitive TT, then I'd do some easy miles first - but that is still riding the bike

on the road

Über Member
Not stretching or not doing any exercise before a ride has never done me any harm, I just get on the bike and go as fast as possible right from the start.

RiflemanSmith

If doing a long ride I warm my leg muscles up before the ride and when I get home I stretch the muscles out and massage them with a foam roller.

Davidc

Guru
For the last 30 years I've just warmed up by riding the first 10 minutes gently and building up.

Before then, when I did TTs, I did warm up properly, but gave up stretching muscles after injuring myself doing it - yes a calf muscle strain while stretching when fully fit and strong at age 19!

GrasB

Veteran
What do you do before going out on your bike if anything at all..
Some people l know just get on there bike and go, myself l like to do a few minutes of stretching exercise's ... is there any benifit in doing exercising before cycling
The bike sits on the turbo trainer, I ride it with the resistance engine disconnected for 5min. This basically limits me to a very low leg load & a fairly low rpm. I do the same after getting in. Besides that the first 15-20min riding is done at a reduced output & the same for the last 5-10min.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
But I do stretching after a ride. There's a book out called "Stretching" by Bob Anderson. It's a book about stretching. For every conceivable sport and activity. It's been very helpful as I've turned the corner into geezerhood....

eevvee

Yoga offers some excellent stretches, sun salutation will give the whole body a good work out with nice hamstring stretches. There are many good web sites and YouTube has many yoga routines.

Once you get to know the routines that suit you, be it back, legs, core strength etc 10 to 15 minutes will be beneficial every day/couple of days will help to keep you from seizing up - sort of WD40 for the body.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
In many respects cycling is quite gentle on the muscles compared to other physical activities.
T.M.H.N.E.T is right, it is a very bad idea to stretch cold muscles. Therein lies the problem to warming up for cycling we need an activity that puts little strain on the muscle to begin with and gradually increase the effort until the blood is flowing through the muscle tissue (also raising heart rate too as explained by T.M.H.N.E.T). You can do this on a bike, take it gentle and slowly turn up the wick. The problem then is that most of us aren't going to stop at the side of the road and start doing hamstring stretches, although I have seen it.

When I studied martial arts we would spend at least half an hour of dynamic and then static stretching. I was much more flexible then than I am now and I should stretch more.

For the record - On a usual 1hr training ride of 15 hilly miles, For the first mile or so I'll start off keeping cadence high and effort low ( and it's mainly downhill too), then I just batter myself to bits!!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
In many respects cycling is quite gentle on the muscles compared to other physical activities.
T.M.H.N.E.T is right, it is a very bad idea to stretch cold muscles. Therein lies the problem to warming up for cycling we need an activity that puts little strain on the muscle to begin with and gradually increase the effort until the blood is flowing through the muscle tissue (also raising heart rate too as explained by T.M.H.N.E.T). You can do this on a bike, take it gentle and slowly turn up the wick. The problem then is that most of us aren't going to stop at the side of the road and start doing hamstring stretches, although I have seen it.

When I studied martial arts we would spend at least half an hour of dynamic and then static stretching. I was much more flexible then than I am now and I should stretch more.

For the record - On a usual 1hr training ride of 15 hilly miles, For the first mile or so I'll start off keeping cadence high and effort low ( and it's mainly downhill too), then I just batter myself to bits!!

Such a beautiful moment. ;)

Top Bottom