1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warmest base layer available?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Foghat, 6 Nov 2016.

1. Foghat

Foghat Veteran

What's the thickest, most insulating, warmest base layer on the market? With a high neck?

When commuting by bike through the winter, I try to get away with two upper-body layers, to minimise space needed for trying to get stuff dry at work. This is ok down to about 3 degrees, as my current thickest base layer combined with warmest jacket are pretty good. The base layer is Assos's warmest one from about 10-12 years ago - it's good, but not actually all that thick, and there must be warmer ones on the market.

So, interested to hear recommendations for thick high-neck warmest-you-can-get base layers.......

Anyone tried Rapha's hooded Deep Winter Base Layer? Or their Winter Base Layer?
    Last edited: 6 Nov 2016
  2. S-Express

S-Express Guest

Warmth in winter is far more about what you wear as an outer layer, as opposed to what you wear as a base. If your outer layer is allowing the cold in, then the best base layer in the world will not be enough.
  3. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

I really like the Devold merino baselayers. Sportpursuit have had them a few times quite cheap.
  4. alicat

alicat Guru

Try a different approach. Cycle more slowly then you won't sweat then won't have to worry about changing at work.
  5. I don't know about the Rapha one's but I prefer layering up if I want to maintain warmth and actually find my thinnest winter base layer base, it wicks better and has a wind proof front.
  6. OP

Foghat Veteran

Not an option - it's 20 miles each way, with hills, 5 days a week all year round.
  7. Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee On the road to nowhere

under armour coldgear. I wear it on the golf course under a jumper and shower jacket and it does the job very well so guessing under a long sleeved thermal jersey you'd cook nicely
  8. OP

Foghat Veteran

Take it as read that the outer layer is as warm and windproof as you can get from cycling clothing manufacturers. Anyway, they produce different weight base layers for a reason, and differences in thickness/loft do have a very noticeable effect on insulating capability.
  9. mattobrien

mattobrien Veteran

Sunny Suffolk
    I wear an icebreaker oasis LS combined with a decent jacket (currently using Castelli Alpha jacket) and have seen -5 on the garmin wearing just these and have been warm enough.
  10. numbnuts

numbnuts Guru

North Baddesley
  11. ayceejay

ayceejay Guru

Rural Quebec
    I second the Icebreaker suggestion I wear one with an icebreaker neck thingy that I can't remember the name of that comes off if you get hot. The Look Ultra range is a good layer on top of that with a lightweight windbreaker on top of that - also removable when hot.
  12. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Regular

Craft Keep Warm is some of the best you can get in my eyes. Doesn't come cheap though, e.g. the Keep Warm Knit Wool version. Comes from Sweden, and these guys know what they're talking about when it comes to outdoor sports in freezing temperatures. I also like using a base layer with windstopper material on the front, as that's where you usually get cold, but with more breathable (but warm) material on the sides and back.
    HLaB likes this.
  13. CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Hitchin, Herts
  14. Rustybucket

Rustybucket Über Member

I have the winter base layer from Rapha, bought them in Sale last year. They are nice and warm in the cold weather!
  15. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

52 Festive Road