Warmest base layer available?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Well I followed my instincts, ignored the protests, and procured a nice thick warmest-to-be-found base layer, which has resulted in complete success.

This has extended the range in which I can ride comfortably with just two upper layers by at least 5 degrees, to below -5C (probably even lower - haven't been able to test yet), which is likely to cover virtually all my winter commuting now. If a brutally cold spell does materialise, then extra layers can be deployed, but the aim of riding comfortably with just two upper body layers for the vast majority of my winter commuting has been achieved.

@numbnuts alerted the thread to Brynje as a supplier, and after some digging around in their product range, I identified the Brynje Arctic Double Zip Polo 3/4-Neck as the most suitable. And it is very warm indeed - noticeably warmer than my Assos Winter Plus and Assos Powerstatic Plus base layers, which are very decent winter garments in their own right.

The Brynje achieves this by combining a 'string vest' insulating inner mesh layer with a wicking merino wool outer layer, plus a high neck and extended wrist/hand-covering arms with thumb-loops. And the fit is fine for fast cycling - although for reference, whilst in Assos I tend to need size Large, the equivalent at Brynje, in this item at least, is size Small! Norwegian polar explorers are evidently, and inevitably, fatter than racing cyclists. Thankfully, the sleeves are still long enough for people of 6ft or more......

Mission accomplished!

This current cold spell has been proving just what a sound purchase my Brynje Arctic Double Zip Polo 3/4-Neck base layers have been.

Riding home from work today, it was 20 miles into a solid 25mph headwind at -5.5 degrees C. On top of that, I was on the electric commuter, meaning I wasn't working as hard as I would have been on my non-assisted commuter - and when I work less hard, I usually feel a fair bit colder as I'm generating less body heat.

Nevertheless, with this base layer on, I was still perfectly comfortable with just two layers on the top half - base layer and windproof thermal jacket. So much so that I reckon -7 to -8 may even be doable with just the two layers, perhaps even -10 if I'm working harder on a non-e-bike.

Of course it helps that the rest of my kit is also all optimally chosen for the conditions, but the search for the ultimate warmest base layer has been a resounding success.

Thoroughly recommend them.

Last edited:
I have some of their base layers, the synthetic string vest things. They are excellent and can be used in warm/hot weather as well.

Hi - the answer to the OP's question is a base layer made out in Yak wool. It is the highest living mammal from which we can harvest its fleece.

It will cost a few quid but it is simply the best - it's why the top climbers use it to go up the world's highest mountains!

A company called kora in Scotland sells them. I also have thier socks which are a mix of Yak wool and that shitty merino wool.

Surprisingly, I think they also do underpants.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Hi - the answer to the OP's question is a base layer made out in Yak wool. It is the highest living mammal from which we can harvest its fleece.

It will cost a few quid but it is simply the best - it's why the top climbers use it to go up the world's highest mountains!

A company called kora in Scotland sells them. I also have thier socks which are a mix of Yak wool and that shitty merino wool.

Surprisingly, I think they also do underpants.
The OP may just have exploded ;)

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
The OP may just have exploded ;)

Not exactly.

I contemplated the Kora Shola at the time, but my analysis concluded the Brynje Arctic Double would be warmer on account of its two-layer design incorporating the all-important air-trapping mesh layer, which is extremely effective but is lacking in the Kora range and others. The Brynje also has quite a bit more weight - i.e. more material trapping more air and hence more insulation.

The Kora offerings do look good though, and I'm sure yak wool does indeed work better than merino wool and other options, but Brynje's double-layer mesh-lined base layers seemed to get more coverage and plaudits from polar adventurers, so I went with them.

Even if the analysis was wrong, I succeeded in my aim of extending my keep-it-to-two-upper-body-layers temperature range by a lot more than I was expecting, down to -8 to -10 C now, so I'm more than happy as previously mentioned.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not exactly.

I contemplated the Kora Shola at the time, but my analysis concluded the Brynje Arctic Double would be warmer on account of its two-layer design incorporating the all-important air-trapping mesh layer, which is extremely effective but is lacking in the Kora range and others. The Brynje also has quite a bit more weight - i.e. more material trapping more air and hence more insulation.

The Kora offerings do look good though, and I'm sure yak wool does indeed work better than merino wool and other options, but Brynje's double-layer mesh-lined base layers seemed to get more coverage and plaudits from polar adventurers, so I went with them.

Even if the analysis was wrong, I succeeded in my aim of extending my keep-it-to-two-upper-body-layers temperature range by a lot more than I was expecting, down to -8 to -10 C now, so I'm more than happy as previously mentioned.
Not convinced by your logic there - think about down, for instance.

Top Bottom