Warmest base layer available?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Take it as read that the outer layer is as warm and windproof as you can get from cycling clothing manufacturers. Anyway, they produce different weight base layers for a reason, and differences in thickness/loft do have a very noticeable effect on insulating capability.

This is a little odd, but perhaps you are built differently than me?

I have two softshell winter jackets which actually run hot for me unless the temperature drops to close to zero (no "feels like" zero but zero). I only need a thin base layer underneath in pretty much any temperature when I'm wearing one of the jackets. The jackets are the Aldi winter softshell jacket, bought about 7 years ago and a Gore windstopper which I think is this one

S-Express

Take it as read that the outer layer is as warm and windproof as you can get from cycling clothing manufacturers
Are you able to tell us what the outer layer is?

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I have the Rapha winter base layer. It is very warm, thicker than normal base layers and the roll neck is long enough to cover your mouth.
This is me wearing it in my profile pick
<------

AnthonyC

Regular
I have the Rapha winter base layer. It is very warm, thicker than normal base layers and the roll neck is long enough to cover your mouth.
This is me wearing it in my profile pick
<------
If you dress like that you have the additional advantage that most motorists will think twice before picking a fight.. :smile:

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Right, well following up some useful leads posted by respondents to this thread (thanks), and researching the ranges offered by the various suggested manufacturers, I've come up with the answers I need.

Of course, the key thing here is to look at the material weights. Typical 'regular' long-sleeve base layers seem to be constructed from material that is up to about 200g/sqm. Most 'heavier' weight winter base layers appear to be around the 240-260g/sqm mark, and are basically 'midweight'. Icebreaker's warmest is 260g/sqm, and my Assos winter base must be similar or a bit lighter.

Heavyweight base layers, which is what I'm after, are a lot thinner (!) on the ground, but obviously they do exist. The frontrunner cycling-specific model must be the hooded Rapha Deep Winter Base Layer, which is pretty hefty at 340g/sqm on the hood, chest and arms and 240g/sqm on the lower body and back; this compares with the relatively light weight of Rapha's standard Winter Base Layer (195g/sqm).

At £120 for the Rapha Deep Winter, though, I'll be waiting for a sale I think......and besides, they don't have much (any) stock in the M-L sizes at present.

Interestingly, Brynje, whose 140g/sqm Super Thermo Base Layer numbnuts linked to, do an Arctic Base Layer which is 360g/sqm all over. Designed for mountaineers, polar use and the military, it may not be an ideal cut for cycling, but what I'm after is thickness and warmth, which it appears to offer in no small measure.

Excellent - the quest to keep the upper-body clothing to two layers when sub-zero commuting is a goer!

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Canterbury cold gear with a buff around the neck :okay:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Right, well following up some useful leads posted by respondents to this thread (thanks), and researching the ranges offered by the various suggested manufacturers, I've come up with the answers I need.

Of course, the key thing here is to look at the material weights. Typical 'regular' long-sleeve base layers seem to be constructed from material that is up to about 200g/sqm. Most 'heavier' weight winter base layers appear to be around the 240-260g/sqm mark, and are basically 'midweight'. Icebreaker's warmest is 260g/sqm, and my Assos winter base must be similar or a bit lighter.

Heavyweight base layers, which is what I'm after, are a lot thinner (!) on the ground, but obviously they do exist. The frontrunner cycling-specific model must be the hooded Rapha Deep Winter Base Layer, which is pretty hefty at 340g/sqm on the hood, chest and arms and 240g/sqm on the lower body and back; this compares with the relatively light weight of Rapha's standard Winter Base Layer (195g/sqm).

At £120 for the Rapha Deep Winter, though, I'll be waiting for a sale I think......and besides, they don't have much (any) stock in the M-L sizes at present.

Interestingly, Brynje, whose 140g/sqm Super Thermo Base Layer numbnuts linked to, do an Arctic Base Layer which is 360g/sqm all over. Designed for mountaineers, polar use and the military, it may not be an ideal cut for cycling, but what I'm after is thickness and warmth, which it appears to offer in no small measure.

Excellent - the quest to keep the upper-body clothing to two layers when sub-zero commuting is a goer!

Bamboo:
https://bambooclothing.co.uk/store/show_product/MZ455-SLT
"BAM455 - This baselayer is for very cold weather and / or for when you are not highly active and generating your own heat. Too hot for skiing unless -20. Thumb loops in the sleeve panel and an essential BAM feature - the HIDDEN ZIP!"

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a Gore Oxygen jacket and I can ride in subzero temperatures with a lightweight merino base layer under it. Above about five degrees and it starts getting a bit too hot if you are riding at a reasonable tempo.

Flyboy

under armour coldgear. I wear it on the golf course under a jumper and shower jacket and it does the job very well so guessing under a long sleeved thermal jersey you'd cook nicely
Yep same here , under armour actually does work , I have their Heat Gear and Cold Gear .

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Well I followed my instincts, ignored the protests, and procured a nice thick warmest-to-be-found base layer, which has resulted in complete success.

This has extended the range in which I can ride comfortably with just two upper layers by at least 5 degrees, to below -5C (probably even lower - haven't been able to test yet), which is likely to cover virtually all my winter commuting now. If a brutally cold spell does materialise, then extra layers can be deployed, but the aim of riding comfortably with just two upper body layers for the vast majority of my winter commuting has been achieved.

@numbnuts alerted the thread to Brynje as a supplier, and after some digging around in their product range, I identified the Brynje Arctic Double Zip Polo 3/4-Neck as the most suitable. And it is very warm indeed - noticeably warmer than my Assos Winter Plus and Assos Powerstatic Plus base layers, which are very decent winter garments in their own right.

The Brynje achieves this by combining a 'string vest' insulating inner mesh layer with a wicking merino wool outer layer, plus a high neck and extended wrist/hand-covering arms with thumb-loops. And the fit is fine for fast cycling - although for reference, whilst in Assos I tend to need size Large, the equivalent at Brynje, in this item at least, is size Small! Norwegian polar explorers are evidently, and inevitably, fatter than racing cyclists. Thankfully, the sleeves are still long enough for people of 6ft or more......

Mission accomplished!

Last edited:
I have several of their string vest base layers. Great. Great for touring as synthetic string doesn't need much drying. And near indestructible.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
My mate works for Tog 24 and got me one of their long sleeve baselayers for a fiver :okay: ..... Had it a year and well happy with it still :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom