Warming up before a ride ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
I never warm up just take it easy the first couple of miles and depending how far i have cycled i take it easy the last couple of miles. that may be because i'm nackered though

iggibizzle

I give my thighs and calfs a quick stretch while getting dressed in morning, as I tore both in my football and running days. And i Dint want a repeat of that agony! Otherwise just take it easy for 1st ten mins.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Like others I like to take it easy for the first few miles, and cool down with a gentle mile or so at the end.

paddypete

i usually do a couple of munros first thing,and then im good to go!

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
At this time of the year, if I'm only doing a short 5 mile ride to the gym, I normally spend 10-15 minutes warming up on the turbo beforehand. But that's only because I can't face going outside in the freezing cold without a bit of a sweat on! :ohmy:

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't warm up prior to cocking my leg over crossbar. The road out of our village is a gentle half mile uphill and if I didn't take it steady on cold legs and lungs I'd be nacked before I got out the village, so it's a nice topographically enforced gentle warm up.

Similarly, there's a bloody steep hill right outside work.. It's about a 200metre stretch but I just cant get up it when I'm cold, so always push to the top before setting off.

clf

Cycling was always a good warm up for most excercises, running, football, gym etc. If you have tight muscles, or are planning on riding hard then I'd ride easy for 15 - 20 minutes to get the blood flowing to your muscles then stop and stretch properly. If you stretch before you've warmed up you can do some damage.

Top Bottom