Warning For SRAM Power Link Users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

Pffft, warning a worn chain might break!

I've never had a power link accidentally come undone. Even had one on my fixed wheel bike for a bit. In fact I wish they would come undone a bit easier. Until they're worn I really struggle with them.

Dave5N

Über Member
1. They are easy to undo and rejoin. Get the right tool. Mine (Park) was a fiver.

2. How do they break on an MTB? I race 'cross and we use much bigger gears with much more vibration.

3. Look in your own sty first. Sort your maintenance before you post such drastic warnings.

squeaker

Über Member
Bollx

Mr Pig said:
The SRAM power links, the quick release links, are pretty tight when they're new. In fact you need to use a pair of pliers squeeze the ends of the link together.
IME you don't need anything other than your pinkies and logic. Using a mechanical device with sharp edges is likely to damage the link.

Zoiders

Using pliers to fit one is the problem as the others have said, there is a nack to it and you shouldnt be using force, I have used pliers to get power links off but I never actually touch the power link itself, I just put a set of needle nose pliers on the rollers and give a quick but gentle squeze and the power link pops open

I would say that on reflection that the failure rate for a power link is far better than that for an ordinairy chain link

You may as well advise people to stop using chains full stop, because normal links fail much more often than SRAM power links

ZB.

yenrod

Pig' i dont reckon you're and idiot: those pliers are a big ? when undoing the link - well thats what i reckon anyhow. What people on here are noting is that fact you are listing the pliers in the itinary for removal of the chain which obviously can do some damage but you must know what your doing YET they're only meant to be seprated by hand/finger force so....

I can see your frustration to use pliers but if you persevere then you can do it by hand/fingers.

I'm fairly new to Powerlinks and the likes coming from Sedis chains *

(just why did they die off, they worked, the failure rate was virtuallly zero: the only time I ever had one snap was because I had not connected it improperly from new :wacko: - I rode hundreds & thousands of miles on them and they wear fantastic - i'll never understand it or was it a combination of Shimano with teh stupid 'pin' design of a chain and the buy out of Sedis by SRAM that seen them off. I really feel about this because it worked and as the Chain is such a total important part of a bike and Sedis's were soo good: - absolute crying shame !)

* Upon fitting a KMC which I got advised by a bike shop, which, at the time mentioned to me that SRAM links fail, i dont know if this was fact/is fact but what i do know is that I know they're a good bike shop they NEVER give you blag talk just to sell you stuff - I've known them since they took over the biz and they warrant the cycle shop on the custom and take it pretty serious - the owner sometimes goes over the top I feel, especially with advice but thats service you dont see much nowadays! so I took the KMC chain and will soon be buying some spare links soon, as its stayed together since I bought it which was about 2-3wks back. Since I do chainy riding - thats quite strenuous work for a chain nowadys other than MTB'in g em in mud AND power work.

Zoiders

Mr Pig said:
You people really think I'm an idiot don't you?
You can use pliers to fit them

However - you do not have to touch or bend the link, you just use a needle nose set of pliers to push the rollers/pins inside the link outwards to make it pop into place, it only takes a nudge, no real pressure, all you are doing is giving it a nudge to make it do something that can be tricky with your fingers, you are not using any real force though

Are you really that pissed of at learning something new?

There are dozens of people who have used powerlinks and learned the nack of fitting and removing them and they are trying to tell you how

If you dont want to know how then thats just your tough shoot.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I've said everything I need to on this subject. How the link came to be loose is actually neither here nor there and frankly I'm too old to be bothered defending my technical ability to a bunch of people I don't even know. Anyone reading this can make their own mind up.

Jonathan M

Never had one come loose, have had one fail through the point where the side plate & pin comes together, but it had been on about 3 chains (all of which had been replaced due to wear & tear) before it went.

Mr Pig, you've obviously had a problem with a link, otherwise why post about a link coming loose. I have a feeling though that what you describe is an isolated incident, otherwise the link would have acquired a bad reputation in the time (10 years or so???) that the link has been around.

When you replace your chain, it'll come with a new link.
Keep the old one - you have now got a spare !

I carry a couple of spares like this, plus a chaintool.
If the chain were to fail, I can shove-out the next rivet, remove a couple of links, replace with the spare link.

But I've never had a chain fail, not with SRAM or KMC joining-links, which I've been using for years.

The only chain failures I've ever had have been with Shimano's bl**dy-stupid one-use pin...

ratty2k

Snapped a Sram chain in the Peak district, but down to a very clumsy shift more than anything.. Still run powerlinks, not had any issues with mine

wazzandee

I have used a number of removable links. SRAM is not my favorite but only because they are not so easy to disconnect. I actually used this topic some time ago to find out how to disconnect it.. In defence of Mr Pig - he and the local main man mechanic have advised the same technique i.e.

Put pliers diagonally across the link to squeeze it together and pop it open.

Specifically - i use plumbing type pliers where the jaws open to the correct width and are still PARALLEL (not gaped open) - i put one jaw on one link plate, the other plier jaw on the OTHER plate SUCH THAT when the pliers are GENTLY squeezed the plate pushes the pin towards the plate gate/opening hole area that allows the plates to separate i.e. one uses the plate to push the pin into its opening area

It works easily - i also use some wire to form a loop so the chain isnt under tension from the deraileur - i.e. the powerlink is now on a looped, slack section of chain

If one doesnt understand the mechanics of this, one could force the link plates open and that would make it useless

I have about 20 bikes - most use powerlinks and i have (touch wood) never had a failure ... but i toss them when the chain is at end of life ... in addition to mtb - crits and road racing are not kind to riders with suspect drive trains

my 2 bob

02GF74

Über Member
my 2p worth. I am a recent convert to this type of link - KMC X9 chain - having been a shimano chain with the special pin fan.

only chain that ever failed on me was a new chain - think it was sram - where the pin just vanished - this was ~ 5years ago; not used the split link chain long enough for them to have failed.

but from my own experience, to join the chains is quite easy - line up the pins to the holes and puill the chain - a stop on the pedals put enough tension to get the link secure. it does need a bit of force to undo - I use pincers but pliers woulod do the same thing.

there should be no wear between the pin and link plates as they do not move relative to one another.

also has the OP fitted the link the correct way? the way I di it is so that the side of chain that rubs agasint the cogs has the larger slot at the rear - this means when pdealling and changeing gerar, if the pin rubs agaisnt the cogs, it will be pushed into the smaller hole rather than into the larger hole - kinda hard to explain without pictures.

in effect there is 2 ways to fit the link, one of them is better in my opinion for the above reason.

not siure why peeps are having a go at the OP as even the best maintained bike can suffer from component failuer, even if t hey are assembled correctly. it is an unusaul case and good advice to check the link from time to time as well as to carry a spare.

Forgive me if this has been posted before and is a well know issue, it's a head's up to SRAM chain users about the quick release link.

Yesterday, going along a rocky track on the top of the Old Kilpatrick hills I heard a clatter and looked down to see my chain lying on the ground behind me! At first I thought it had snapped but collecting the chain I realised that the link had came undone.

Its a bugger when that happens, never happened to me, and I like you have in the past had to resort to using a pair of long nosed plairs to part them. Just bad luck as they are quite reliable form of connecting a chain.

I guess the chain was trying to tell you something, like maybe it was knackered or maybe the chain just whipped at the wrong time and place. but its worth bearing in mind that always carry a spare powerlink, and a extrater tool incase the chain breaks elsewere.

Top Bottom