Warning For SRAM Power Link Users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I use them on both my bikes with no failures. They are for me almost impossible to get off though .

I have a pair of needle nose pliers that I have bent the tips inwards so they dont slip off the rollers.You dont have to overdo it just gentle squeeze until it clicks apart.

Re joining I put the link on the top of the chain line up the two plates and gently apply pressure with the pedal to pull the chain with the back brake on until it clicks together.

A well repected local bike mechanic showed me the methods.

andym

Über Member
I've said everything I need to on this subject. How the link came to be loose is actually neither here nor there and frankly I'm too old to be bothered defending my technical ability to a bunch of people I don't even know. Anyone reading this can make their own mind up.

Yep.

Which goon dug this thread up?

Is was bordering on actionable in the first place - as in the SRAM will sue you kind of actionable.

I think the only action that SCRAM would take is to take note of the problems some people including myself, have had sometimes splitting the link apart.

Then hand the problem to the R&D department to see if any improvements can be made to sort out the problem. After all that how most Cycle parts are improved, either by complaints from the general user or from the Sporting Fraternity

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
same thing happened to me tonight - fortunately i carry a spare - getting the remaining bit of the old and somewhat bent powerlink out of the chain was a bit of a pain tho

Zoiders

same thing happened to me tonight - fortunately i carry a spare - getting the remaining bit of the old and somewhat bent powerlink out of the chain was a bit of a pain tho
That - can happen with any link.

The cause is the front mech getting shifted down when the drive train is not moving.

Bends the chain link by trapping it between the front mech cage and the top ring teeth.

konabud

I've said everything I need to on this subject. How the link came to be loose is actually neither here nor there and frankly I'm too old to be bothered defending my technical ability to a bunch of people I don't even know. Anyone reading this can make their own mind up.

I just had one fall off yesterday on a very rough trail. It does happen, the links do not lock in place, so why do people have to be so dramatic in defending their powerlinks? Im not in high school and this is life. Stuff happens.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I just had one fall off yesterday on a very rough trail. It does happen, the links do not lock in place, so why do people have to be so dramatic in defending their powerlinks? Im not in high school and this is life. Stuff happens.

You do realise you are responding to a thread where the last post was 2 and a half years ago?

Top Bottom