Warning to all cyclists - Must read.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There doesn't seem to be much evidence to back up this fairly strong claim. 3 members of the same club had their bicycles stolen? Doesn't that suggest someone near the club, or getting physical access to the club records? Also, despite them saying that thieves are targeting nice bikes, the only brand they mention is Ridgeback.

There seems to be an increasing attitude of blaming the victim. There are ads on the London Underground suggesting it's your fault if you are robbed for having an expensive phone; ok, not for having it, but for using it. I'm waiting for someone to be told they should protect their high end bike by making sure no one knows they have it.

(bit grumpy having to take public transport to work)

" Also, despite them saying that thieves are targeting nice bikes, the only brand they mention is Ridgeback.":ohmy: and what is wrong with Ridgeback?!:dry:

davefb

Guru
it may not be 100% "true" , but I'd say it was pretty good advice to be 'a bit careful'. especially since now thieves now know what to do :smile:

tbh, I thought the same generic advice has been mentioned for social networks before... "for crying out loud don't advertise the fact you have goods to nick"

[edit]
if it was strava, wouldn't they have access logs?

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Facebook groups are bad too. Especially for sale groups. People on fake accounts can message you, ask your address to 'view' the bike, not turn up. Then they'll steal from you garage or shed when you're out, or asleep.

I always advise people to meet at a police station when selling/buying a bike. Because if you don't, you can either be robbed of money for the bike, or the fact when selling, you don't meet at your address, where all your personal property is.

Strava is also an issue. I guess that's why I don't use it. But if I did, I'd start my recording of my route at least two streets away from my place. Also, I'd ride on random days, so that I couldn't be stalked/followed.

o well look on the bright side , if they are nicking better bikes it will up the quality in the police stolen goods sale.
last one down my way the bikes were rubbish.

Theres a potential problem I see here. What happens if the owner of the nicked bike you bought sees you and recognizes it? He will think you are the thief and probably put you in hospital. I would. Or follow him home and burn his house down sometime later.

Regarding Strava safety i would say there are a few pointers:

Use the "request to follow" feature. Rides only accessible to those who you allow to follow. Don't join a club or group as this will allow anyone to look at your rides through the group. The club or group will be advertised on your profile regardless of privacy.

Don't start your GPS until you are at least at your road end. Further if you prefer.

Use Strava privacy zone if not the above.

Crop your rides if you use an iphone gps or similar. The gps will start at your house but you can quickly crop the start and end of any rides after you upload them.

Licramite

Über Member
Theres a potential problem I see here. What happens if the owner of the nicked bike you bought sees you and recognizes it? He will think you are the thief and probably put you in hospital. I would. Or follow him home and burn his house down sometime later.

No it's ok , as soon as you wheel the bike out of the auction the cops nab you for handling stolen goods, confiscate it and put it back in the sale. - and you in the nick.
simples.

its a good point though. - but the ones I saw you wouldn't want back other than for parts.

400bhp

Guru
Regarding Strava safety i would say there are a few pointers:

Use the "request to follow" feature. Rides only accessible to those who you allow to follow. Don't join a club or group as this will allow anyone to look at your rides through the group. The club or group will be advertised on your profile regardless of privacy.

Don't start your GPS until you are at least at your road end. Further if you prefer.

Use Strava privacy zone if not the above.

Crop your rides if you use an iphone gps or similar. The gps will start at your house but you can quickly crop the start and end of any rides after you upload them.

Really? Even if you have the "request to follow" feature turned on?

Not good.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Really? Even if you have the "request to follow" feature turned on?

Not good.
That is why I wouldn't put my full name on Strava. Only takes someone to put 2 + 2 together by checking the phone book.

Top Bottom