Was actually a motorist cursing a cyclist this morning :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Yep, misunderstanding so just chalk it up to experience and move on. My concern would be around your imediate 'blood at boiling point' reaction and your gut instinct to use your car as a weapon. I don't get the impression that you were ever in any danger, the world just failed to act as you wanted it to. If you don't generally behave in this manner then maybe you need to look at why it happens if you're driving.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Alien8 said:
I regularly find people being considerate, especially waiting to my right at mini-roundabouts. Waving me on, thinking they are doing me a favour, whilst I've come to a virtual standstill thinking what the 'eck are they up to?

In deepest mid Sussex we now regularly play out a form of bizarre courtesy-based mexican standoff at each and every mini roundabout. Three stationary road users each doing "after you Claude", "No, after you Cecil" hand gestures to each other.

I use it as an opportunity to practise track stands....

Zippy

To be honest if I were coming up to the rear of a car in front at red lights and saw the driver beckoning for me to undertake around a left corner when the car is also indicating left and at 5am, I would have several thoughts:

Does the driver understand cycling, because I may need more distance from the kerb all the way round than he realises (the cyclist didn't know you were a driver who cycles); or,

Is the driver luring me into an undertake so his passenger (or he) can fling the inside door open and give me a good bashing and/or nick my bike?.

I would prefer the motorist to go ahead around the corner, which probably means I would have been a bit peed off if I had lost a whole load of momentum because the driver in front was seemingly dithering.

True the cyclist should have read things a bit better and waved you on instead of waving at you.

Just my thoughts.

to add ... yesterday I was driving (I have man flu) and pulled awy from the kerb to allow a cyclist to join the road from a cycle path end. Now he chose to trickle down the pavement a bit further and let me by, presumably because he was worried I might kerb him. I was happy to have him in front as he looked like he could handle 30mph downhill and I would have sheltered his back wheel from silly overtakers. His choice and no-one got mad.

Ashaman42

Über Member
Another thing to consider is did he even see your waving? Depending on the light and angle I often can only see a reflection of the sky in car windows anyway.

Plus I'll admit I often don't look in cars anyway. I often just look at the car as a lump, look at where it is and where it's going and assess based on that.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Motorist, with a conscience, paying excess care for cyclists?

Mr. The Plague, er, something weird's happening on the net :smile:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
Plague said:
In all probability I wouldnt have swerved in front of him, im not that reckless, though I was absolutely livid, my blood was literally boiling that he could have the audacity to have a go at me when I thought I had acted safely and was being considerate to him. Im not used to receiving abuse in any sense and I will quite happily stand my corner if challenged. Otherwise live and let live.

got to this point and stopped reading, i seriously suggest you give up driving. and i can't believe you claim to be a cyclist. appalling attitude and topic :biggrin::tongue:!

GrasB

Veteran
There is a case of trying to look for the good. I've had people do similar things to this & if there's space I'll always go to the right & overtake on the off side. The move to the right tells the driver that you're not going up the nearside & also claims the space from anyone behind you accelerating hard after the turning car has turned into the junction.

Plax

Guru
I wasn't impressed by two lycra louts this afternoon. I was a passenger in Mr Plax's car, and the aforementioned cyclists should have given way at a side road but carried on going, causing Mr Plax to have to break heavily to avoid hitting them as there was oncoming vehicles (we were on the main road). He was not impressed and neither was I. Lucky for the cyclists I was in the car and have a "calming influence" on him as he'd have had a shoot fit with them otherwise.

Then, about 1/4 miles down the road whilst we were waiting at red traffic lights the same cyclists cycled past and went through the red lights. When we caught up with them very shortly afterwards one of them was all over the shop (including going over the white line onto the other side of the road) faffing with his water bottle.

No wonder some car drivers are anti-cyclist with prats like that about.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Plax said:
Then, about 1/4 miles down the road whilst we were waiting at red traffic lights the same cyclists cycled past and went through the red lights. When we caught up with them very shortly afterwards one of them was all over the shop (including going over the white line onto the other side of the road) faffing with his water bottle.

No wonder some car drivers are anti-cyclist with prats like that about.
But, but - how many are anti-driver because of the vast number of dangerous oafs behind the wheel (mobile users &c)? And a poorly driven car is going to do way more damage to you and Mr Plax and your vehicle.

One of my favourite bits of the Highway Code is rule 147;

147Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care (see Rule 204). You should

• try to be understanding if other road users cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well
  • be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake
  • not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey
  • slow down and hold back if a road user pulls out into your path at a junction. Allow them to get clear. Do not over-react by driving too close behind to intimidate them
I try to keep it in mind on my daily commute.

Top Bottom