Was I mad? Help to identify a couple of old bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Esroh

Regular
So in the last 4 days I have got a Raleigh Roadster thats from the Irish Factory, needs a break rod and a chain guard and these 2 - full bike has duplex fork:

40257429[1].jpeg
40257430[1].jpeg
40257431[1].jpeg
40257428[1].jpeg

Total cost is euro equivalent of £30.

I don't collect until the weekend and the pics are not great but if anyone can identify it would be great.

classic33

Leg End Member

Last edited:
OP
OP
Esroh

Esroh

Regular
Thanks to whoever doctored the post.
The 2 bikes have been in a shed for aslong as the seller could remember. Minimum 30 years. They belonged to his grand parents.
I'll do my best for them .

Re being in Foxford. Location given was where seller lived but bikes located differently a bit further south.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The Duplex forks might be a bit of a red herring as Raleigh also used them on a limited number of other types in their range (Elswick, BSA, etc), but they are mostly associated with Humber.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The 2 bikes have been in a shed for aslong as the seller could remember. Minimum 30 years. They belonged to his grand parents.

Re being in Foxford. Location given was where seller lived but bikes located differently a bit further south.
I meant you. There's an angling shop in Foxford. See if they kept their records from when their family was the local dealer for Raleigh in that area. Bikes/seller is from "over the bridge".
Same name in Ennis, County Clare, is also the Raleigh dealer and has been for some time.
Head Tube.jpg
NDdhOWZ.jpg
YWExYm.jpg

Raleigh Factories in the Irish Free State, kept/used the Raleigh name only.

classic33

Leg End Member

Further South, Swinford way?

Possibly one of the oddest questions you'll be asked. I'm assuming you've not been to see the bikes yet, are/were they across the road in the main barn building? If so, check both the seat tube and steerer tube for a rolled up piece of paper. Seat post may be plugged with an oak plug.

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
I love those forks on the gents bike, very swish. Looks like they should both clean up nicely, good luck with the restoration!

Top Bottom