Was I out of order?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Jonathing, 9 Aug 2012.

1. Jonathing

Jonathing Über Member

I'd just climbed the main hill on my way home from work and was pootling slowly along waiting for my heart rate to return to triple figures when a car drew up along side me and and pulled across into a parking space. One emergency skid stop later I asked the driver, a middle aged woman whether she always tries to knock people off their bikes or if she made an exception for me. After I'd explained (quite calmly) the error of her ways she sat and stared blankly at me, I prompted her with "go on, apologise then". This was met with "I'm deaf". Once I'd realised this wasn't supposed to excuse her poor driving I repeated myself in British sign language, to which she sat and looked equally blankly at me.

Now either she's deaf and hasn't learned to communicate or she was being incredibly disrespectful trying to make up an excuse for not saying sorry for trying to kill me.

My question to the floor is, am I out of order trying to call her bluff on her bullshirt excuse.

2. Herr-B

Herr-B Senior Member

Not at all. Well done for remaining calm.

3. oldfatfool

oldfatfool Veteran

Are you sure she said deaf and not blind?

Sittingduck, HLaB and FatherCrowe like this.
  4. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Which hill was it?

5. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Hhahahahahaha! You owned her mate.

I'd have made *nasty face* and the diamond sign towards her, then cycled off.

semislickstick and Norm like this.
  6. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD Veteran

Pity you didn't abe a pen n paper to write it down for her too - bumb ditch

7. OP
    OP
    Jonathing

Jonathing Über Member

Northumberland Road/Conduit Road, from Western Bank up to School Road in Crookes. Not the longest climb in Sheffield but one of the steeper ones I can manage on my fixed.

8. Drago

Drago Guru

Deaf and blind. No wonder she nearly t boned you.

9. Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

No I wouldn't say so. Did you use official sign language or drag her through the window ?
    Joking aside. It doesn't warrant her to drive any differently. You sure she wasn't one of those immigrant thingies. And didn't understand you ?

10. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

If it was school lane, I can see that happening.

I don't see what is wrong in signing. You'd probably know that anyway as part of your job.

And on the topic of deaf drivers, I remember a few years ago seeing York's finest celebrity police officer hammering very loudly on someone's window and shouting very loudly and aggressively.

11. Drago

Drago Guru

My Missus is blind in one eye and doesn't treat cyclists on the road like that.

12. Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

Just another case of driver ignorance

13. Nortones2

Nortones2 Über Member

Speechless (almost) through drink? A serial offender well used to outfacing victims?

14. Hip Priest

Hip Priest Veteran

Sounds like she made a mistake and got frightened when confronted.

15. lip03

lip03 Über Member

I am just impressed you know sign language! And she should have been grateful you did also!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice