Was I out of order?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
You could easily be deaf through losing hearing later and not learned sign language..
Still no excuse for crap driving though....

OP
OP
Jonathing

Jonathing

Über Member
Sounds like she made a mistake and got frightened when confronted.

That's what I thought.

You could easily be deaf through losing hearing later and not learned sign language..
Still no excuse for crap driving though....

That is true I suppose. I'm used to people who are congenitally deaf. It's been a long time since I worked with adults so hearing loss hadn't occurred to me.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I imagine it was none of the above, and she understood you perfectly well. Most likely it was some deflection to try and avoid you castigating her.

Maylian

Veteran
Definitely not out of order and like others I'm impressed you know sign language as well. A skill I would love to take some time to learn

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Hang on, if she is so deaf to not be able to hear you talking right besides her, how would she hear an approaching siren?

My Nan is a little deaf and once (a while ago) I was in the car with her. We were travelling down a main road with no traffic infront or behind us. Suddenly, I heard a siren behind and saw an ambulance was approaching. When it got right up behind us, I was waiting for my Nan to pull over and allow it to pass. But for some reason she didnt.
So I said to my Nan, "what are you doing?" To which she replied "Nothing, why?", "Well there is an ambulance behind you with the sirens on and beeping and you havent pulled over".
She then looked in her mirror and pulled over (slowly).
As the ambulance passed, we were met with some "WTF are you doing?" from the passenger paremedic. What followed was a long conversation between me, my Nan, and my mum (who was also in the car) about my Nan's hearing and the fact that my Nan isnt that deaf to not be able to hear an ambulance right behind her.

She now has a hearing aid (thank god) but complains about it being too loud (doesnt know where the volume control is).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Matthew, having the radio on loud is just the same. Being able to hear isn't required for driving, it's sight that you need, and many folk have very poor vision - I'd be worried about them.

Your nan was just an un-observant driver - sorry.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm sure this has already been covered, but being deaf has fark all to do with being a good driver. The fella I learned sign language off had a long career as a HGV driver! Sign language is a particularly useful skill to have if your wife can also sign...

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Matthew, having the radio on loud is just the same. Being able to hear isn't required for driving, it's sight that you need, and many folk have very poor vision - I'd be worried about them.

Your nan was just an un-observant driver - sorry.
Yes, sight is obviously the main sense that you need whilst driving (next to physical control of the vehicle). I guess in the case of the OP, she just either didnt look or didnt plan ahead, and then used 'being deaf' as an escape route.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I think you did the right thing. I am often wary about confronting lone female drivers because they can sometimes feel intimidated by a sweaty angry cyclist !

I was once queuing for lemon meringue in a remote Majorcan farmhouse, with 25 other hikers.

A coachload of large Germans arrived and one old lady marched to the front of the queue and held out her money. The staff told her in Spanish that there was a queue and she should wait, and my fellow hikers told her in English to sling her hook, but she shook her head & insisted on waving her cash & demanding to be served in loud German.

I told her in fluent German that there was a queue, we had waited half an hour for our turn, and she should wait too. My fellow hikers all applauded as she left the building.

By the look she gave me, I was grateful there was no Luger in her handbag !

Crankarm

Guru
I think you did the right thing. I am often wary about confronting lone female drivers because they can sometimes feel intimidated by a sweaty angry cyclist !

I was once queuing for lemon meringue in a remote Majorcan farmhouse, with 25 other hikers.

A coachload of large Germans arrived and one old lady marched to the front of the queue and held out her money. The staff told her in Spanish that there was a queue and she should wait, and my fellow hikers told her in English to sling her hook, but she shook her head & insisted on waving her cash & demanding to be served in loud German.

I told her in fluent German that there was a queue, we had waited half an hour for our turn, and she should wait too. My fellow hikers all applauded as she left the building.

By the look she gave me, I was grateful there was no Luger in her handbag !

So what is the German translation for this?

Top Bottom