Was it you in the Bicycle Chain yesterday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I was in the Bicycle Chain in Bridgwater yesterday, and in there was a guy who was clearly on a significant tour.

He had a road bike, covered in backpacking bags. The technician was checking his chainset etc as he was having problems with his chain slipping all the time.

The chain and cassette were FUBAR and so he asked for it to be replaced and was told 'no chance', we haven't got the 9 speed parts. So he loaded back up looking very forlorn and muttering about having 6 days left!

So, the question is, wouldn't you check things really closely if you were going to go on a significant multi-day ride all loaded up? Or would you just go for it and keep your fingers crossed that you could rescue the situation on the fly as it were?

T4tomo

Guru
I was in the Bicycle Chain in Bridgwater yesterday, and in there was a guy who was clearly on a significant tour.

He had a road bike, covered in backpacking bags. The technician was checking his chainset etc as he was having problems with his chain slipping all the time.

The chain and cassette were FUBAR and so he asked for it to be replaced and was told 'no chance', we haven't got the 9 speed parts. So he loaded back up looking very forlorn and muttering about having 6 days left!

So, the question is, wouldn't you check things really closely if you were going to go on a significant multi-day ride all loaded up? Or would you just go for it and keep your fingers crossed that you could rescue the situation on the fly as it were?
I have a 9 speed chain and 105 chainset spare - if he'd called into my shed.

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I have a 9 speed chain and 105 chainset spare - if he'd called into my shed.

Damn, I could have told him.

I saw him in the car park and he looked really crestfallen, I don't know what he did, but he was saying his bike was pretty unrideable, I didn't like to mention there is a Halfords a mile away!

snorri

Legendary Member
I tended more towards the latter and it was never a disaster.
If or when a problem arose it provided an opportunity to interact with the locals, see the back shops of a variety of foreign cycle stores and whilst the bike was being fixed I explored on foot some places that I would not otherwise have explored.

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
St John Street has plenty of stock, just around the corner.

They are being a bit, er, 'odd' at the moment and over the pandemic. I have had a very peculiar email exchange about some bits and pieces.

It would normally be my go to cycle shop as it less than 2 miles away and have a fantastic range of everything you could need mostly, but yeah, 'odd' 🤔

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I haven't seen Robin for a few years now, but I've known him since he had the small shop further up the road. Never had any problems with them.

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have always had the most excellent service too. I have used them from buying a £3 widget to a bike!

The experiences recently during the pandemic have been most out of character. One time I rang them and they said they were all working remotely and no-one was in the store to answer the query. What was odd about that was that I was having car tyres changed in Kwik Fit, which you will know is over the road, and was looking in the window at the bloke on the phone to me telling me he wasn't there :laugh:

I will go back though, generally a great shop.

Top Bottom