Was looking for a drop handle gravel, but offered a Carrera Subway 1? Thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jase_31

Regular
Hi,

I was looking for a gravel bike with drop bars, something with a low gear (34/34) and able to use at least 28mm tyres, if not 32mm for use as a general all rounder.

Ive been offered a used Carrera subway 1, which may be too good an offer to miss. The Subway 1, seems to have 27.5x1.95 tyres - so not sure how they compare with speed on road / grip off road. Gearing seems to be 26/36/48 on a 12-32, so higher gear range. Straight bars -but compromise would be to stick on a set of bar ends rather than thinking about conversion to drop bar? - with the issues of controls.

Anyone owned one? Does it seem like a sensible bike (rather than a BSO) for an all rounder?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nothing wrong with them if it fits your bill .

You can swap the flat bars for a set of drops although you will need to swap brifters for some shifters .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Subway is going to be a fair bit heavier than a gravel bike of reasonable quality but should give you a sufficiently low gear range. You might not get a large variety of tyres in 27.5 but you should find something to suit. It’ll be a bit of a donkey and won’t feel sprightly like a gravel bike on 32c tyres but that’s what you can expect from a budget bike.
Buy it and try, if you don’t like it they’re always easy to move on.

Last edited:
The subway is a well respected bike.
But it isn't an alternative for a drop bar gravel bike. I don't know the price - but it isn't a bargain if its not what you really want.
Rewind and think about what you first set out to buy

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Keep an eye out for a Specialized cross trail @jase_31 , i picked one up just before the virus for a song

Mfezela

Despite having a couple of other bikes, my Subway 2 has become the most used. I have upgraded many parts over the past year. In chronological order:
Saddle - the Components Two model didn't suit me at all. Far too long.
Chainset - Now 22 - 32 - 42T. The standard config. is more commuter orientated.
Tyres - The fitted Kendas are very stiff. I got a good deal on second set of wheels shod with 2.25" Maxxis Argent. I use the Kenda wheelset for road, the Maxxis for off-road.
The standard Alivio drivetrain and Clarks brakeset are OK but I plan to upgrade to Deore in the near future.
Geometry is great. I'm a completely average 5'10" and find the 20" frame excellent. Same height with longer legs, shorter torso would probably prefer the 18".
Weight? I'm not racing with it, so don't care.
It rides well, it suits me, it's an inexpensive outfit.
New £350, used from £150 upwards.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

battered

Guru
Nothing wrong with a Carrera Subway 1. If it's a bargain and not worn out, get it and thrash round on it for a bit. It will get you about for the summer, when bikes become available again you can swap to a gravel bike if you prefer it.

Subway is the archetypal commuter bike. Im not sure 27.5 /650b wheels make it better. 650b is a nice size but getting a decent commuter tyre in stock on the shelf was a problem for years. Plenty of good off road tyres and some high performance road touring rubber available.

Top Bottom