Was this anyone else's bicycle fantasy when they were little?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I was about 7 or 8, a lad up the road, who was probably 13 or 14, built himself a "tracker" bike. A sort of pre-mountain bike with upswept wide handlebars and knobbly tyres. I have no idea what, if any, gears it had. But it looked just the thing to ride round the dirt track up at the "rec", where the older boys hung about.,...
That was my fantasy bike at the time.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I had one some time around 1980 - we were living in West Germany at the time.

Brandane

Legendary Member
We made do with a clothes peg and a playing card. Attach playing card to a seat stay with the clothes peg, with playing card flicking off the rear spokes........

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I mention this years ago on CC... when i was kid, admiring a chrome plated cruiser BMX and looking at my own cheap 10 speed racer, I thought... I want that cruiser frame and wheels, but with those 10 gears. My fantasy sort of came true as i now ride a nickle plated MTB :okay:

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I always wanted the burner in the photo. I used to look at it in my mum's catalogue all the time. Instead I got a second hand pile of scrap that fell to bits. Other children had the horn that did police and ambulance sounds, I didn't ☹️.

byegad

Legendary Member
I wanted to be able to do a wheelie. On a chopper that I didn't have. A boy a few doors down was 12.. I was 9.. He said he had done 50mph on the flat on his Chopper. I believed him
I worked with challenged kids in the early 1970s. One young man appeared one morning with a heavenly bandaged arm and face. He had taken his Chopper down Swalwell bank a 30mph limited road, with, as you'd expect from the name, a decent gradient.
Apparently he over-took a car, then got into a speed wobble. Result gravel rash in abundance. As the 30mph limit was, mostly ignored by motorists on that bank, goodness knows how fast he was going.

Drago

Legendary Member
View attachment 516040

Never even set eyes upon one, let alone got one on my bike.

Looking back I didn't know how lucky I was having pedal-back brakes, effortless skidding from the age of 5, much to the annoyance of my older brother.
They were a bit after my time. however, when I were a lad there was a handlebar mounted am/fm radio you could buy that looked similar, and I lusted after one badly.

keithmac

Guru
We used to run over coke cans, the wrapped around the tyre and made motorcycle noises!.

Surprisingly didn't go through a load of tyres either.

Other one was clipping the plastic square bread ties round the spokes.

Top Bottom