Was this cyclist bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Terminator said:
Did you notice when the lights changed he pulled off so there must be another set of lights too look at.(or perhaps he was watching the other lights go back to red)

Also why did the lorry pull out suddenly?

There are no lights that you can see from there. I assume that he was watching the flow of traffic.

I think the lorry driver changed his mind where he wanted to go.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
He undertakes the red truck, which- some time after- moves off into the left lane. Not something that might've been easily anticipated if he'd been alongside at the time.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Molecule Man said:
I'm not an advocate of RLJing and I (almost) never do it myself. The RLJing bit here looked fairly mild, he seemed to know the junction well enough to know when the lights had changed in his favour. I suppose he was effectively carving out his own ASL.

I agree that it is mild, but it is completely unnecessary here, so why do it? Just curious what others think about this.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

palinurus said:
He undertakes the red truck, which- some time after- moves off into the left lane. Not something that might've been easily anticipated.

In a nutshell. It's one reason why I think undertaking can be very dangerous. The lorry looked as if it was going straight on. Lorry driver thinks, oh wait a minute I'm going to go left here instead and pulls across.

What would have happened here if he didn't see a cyclist coming up the left, either by not looking correctly, or if the cyclist happened to be in a blind spot at the time?

I think if the cyclist had come down there a little later there could have been a serious accident. IMO this justifies my view of filtering down the right wherever possible.

Thanks.

You actually do know or at least I do that overtaking in a lorries blind spot that you have to be ready for the unexpected and that applies to tithead car drivers who drop off passengers who suddenly swing their car doors open or the ped who decides to cross between traffic.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Terminator said:
Thanks.

You actually do know or at least I do that overtaking in a lorries blind spot that you have to be ready for the unexpected and that applies to tithead car drivers who drop off passengers who suddenly swing their car doors open or the ped who decides to cross in traffic.

I'm sure you do cycle safely, but I have my doubts about this chap and a lot of other cyclists. I like posting videos like this because it illustrates a problem that not everyone might have expected. Who knows, a video like this one might save a life one day.....

mrben

It's very difficult to tell the cyclists intention here - to me it looks like, traffic permitting, he would've done a "full" RLJ, but that's conjecture.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

He undertood an artic. The same artic then moved lanes while the lights were still red. He's fortunate the driver didn't do the manouvre when the bike was alongside, or else he could have been another statistic.

It just shows that "it was ok as the lights were red and the truck wasn't moving" isn't a valid excuse.

Indeed. It scares me to think how easily I could have been a witness at a fatal. I just hope the chap in the video stumbles across this video before the next time.....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

mrben said:
It's very difficult to tell the cyclists intention here - to me it looks like, traffic permitting, he would've done a "full" RLJ, but that's conjecture.

That was my feeling. This is a busy junction and best treated with caution (and cycled through as quickly as possible, when safe to do so).

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Terminator said:
I see worse than that out there.

Absolutely, but wouldn't you agree that this chap was lucky? And wouldn't you also agree that it is worth me posting this even if there is just a small chance that it stops someone getting crushed in the future?

Top Bottom