Was this cyclist bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
magnatom said:
Absolutely, but wouldn't you agree that this chap was lucky? And wouldn't you also agree that it is worth me posting this even if there is just a small chance that it stops someone getting crushed in the future?

Hard to say really.Thats why I say you need your wits about you.Im sure i've done some dodgy overtakes/undertakes in the past.You know when you are out there you have to be alert.When you go past a lorry on the inside you can check his mirror and do a risk assessment.Actually thinking about it though sometimes im quite comfortable hanging back behind a lorry.Southwark bridge left turn is a good example of this so probably yes.

Cab

Red light jumping. Pretty stupid. Undertaking that big red lorry looked pretty dumb too. Then he's taken up a road position riding very nearly on the outer one of the two yellow lines.

'Idiot' would be too strong a term for him. Strikes me as completely lacking in good roadcraft though.

Cab

magnatom said:
Absolutely, but wouldn't you agree that this chap was lucky? And wouldn't you also agree that it is worth me posting this even if there is just a small chance that it stops someone getting crushed in the future?

Its a good example of one of the ways how not to handle such a junction.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
Red light jumping. Pretty stupid. Undertaking that big red lorry looked pretty dumb too. Then he's taken up a road position riding very nearly on the outer one of the two yellow lines.

'Idiot' would be too strong a term for him. Strikes me as completely lacking in good roadcraft though.

Yes I haven't mentioned his general road positioning but it was pretty poor. I didn't feel there was any point in mentioning any of this to him at the time as I had a feeling he wouldn't listen. You will know from previous threads that I am generally not one to hold back!

I will remember this thread when you are all lying in bed and I am commuting to/from work.;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
What I find most incredible is other cyclists, generally RLJs, who huff puff and muscle past me when I'm already in primary position and in the ASL bike box at traffic lights, just to get an advance on the traffic.
Most are lucky to get out in front before the lights change and are often not in position before the traffic, including me, is right behind them and trying to get past. It's a flaming nusiance I tell you!!! ;)

I think the cyclist in this instance Mag believes he's safer in that more advanced position and that he didn't have much to fear from the truck as it probably wasn't indicating.
There is no reason to suppose the truck would not have indicated before he made the change to the left hand lane and in doing so would not have made allowences for the cyclist, who I might add was clear of everyone long before the truck turned. I think the truck turned so he wouldn't get stuck behind the bike! LOL.

T x

Cab

I nearly 'slapped' yet another cyclist yesterday. Its the new layout of the road in front of John Lewis, you get to the stop box, wait in it, signalling left, someone comes straight out through the stop box, through the red light, usually turning right (although yesterday it was left) straight through my outstretched arm.

Might have to start wearing gauntlets ;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Hey, I anticipate left hooks no matter what the vehicle, but a truck that close to a junction I wouldn't undertake, unless a car behind me wanting the left lane forced me into that position.

To clarify, I think the cyclist having already passed the truck was fairly safe in this instance.

T x

Top Bottom