Where do you wash car?

• Yourself

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • Car wash centre

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Mobile service

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can I also say I bet the storm drains are not there to cope with the masses of chemical doused cleaner being literally swept in to them.
Yeah, another reason for using the bus-cleaners is that I think it was built to be reasonably easy to get to from the bus station back when buses were still run by local councils, so if you believe what you hear about the pre-1974 council, the drains are as likely to be gold-plated as anything! There's another local car-washer set up in what I think was a restaurant car park until recently (restaurant went bust, new one opened in the building without most of its car park) which I doubt has drains built to cope - certainly it dribbles out into the road when the others don't.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Mine gets washed for weddings and funerals. Otherwise, the new one gets washed by the dealer when serviced, but that'll stop now when I move servicing to the lovely* Mark'n'Dan who have been looking after our vehicles for years (but don't have car wash facilities).

*So named by a visiting friend whose vehicle they fixed (minor fault) at no charge.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A car isn't just a car. It is something you spent thousands of pounds to purchase. It is something you expect to take you around in all sorts of weather conditions. It is something made up of thousands of bolts, nuts and electronic components which are mostly reliable and dependable. It is also something pleasant to look at . In many ways, a car is like a house, it gives you shelter and is always there when you need it. I don't know about you but when I spend a lot of money on something , I expect it to last and I look after it because neglect will always catch up with you eventually and can be more expensive than proper care and attention.

gbb

Legendary Member
The Polish guys graft their nutts off and I'm sure make a decent enough wage. I very much doubt their is any slavery element to people working in a car wash.
I suspect there are very few Polish guys nowadays at the car wash. They (the ones i see) seem to favour the most recent groups of immigrants. The Polish have long since moved on and have a good network to better positions and wages.

Drago

Legendary Member
There actually is a big issue with bonded labour/slavery at many immigrant car washes. NCA take a keen interest in them, and local plod will keep a weather eye on which personnel are working there.

gbb

Legendary Member
I find it really embarrassing for some reason done it once and never again sitting there while someone washes my car for a fiver looking like they are living rough feels me with middle class guilt so never done it again. My other farking huge gripe is a long the lines of @mjr I cycle past one and have to hold my breath duck, close my eyes in fear of getting the shoot all over me when they use the steam cleaner. Then in if they are not there and its sub zero the massive puddles of the stuff freezes over. Can I also say I bet the storm drains are not there to cope with the masses of chemical doused cleaner being literally swept in to them. Mostly its the guilt and laziness thing though, I would be the type of person to clean my house before the cleaner arrives, much like I leave a hotel room as close as possible to how I found it.
This pretty much for me too.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Snake oil for the dealer to make a handsome profit and they don't last much beyond a good normal wax. I have used most of them and they aren't worth the money at cost never mind retail.

Ceramic sealant is the way forward if you want something that lasts

Autoglym stuff..my son in law works for Marshalls land rover and Jaguar so it's what they put on 100k range rover.. it may be ceramic but it does say it lasts a few years?

I've tried all waxes..no comparison in finish afaic

pclay

Veteran
I get my car washed once a year, only after it has been given a new MOT cert. I use the 'Polish' car wash. £10 inside and out.

Jody

Stubborn git
Autoglym stuff..my son in law works for Marshalls land rover and Jaguar so it's what they put on 100k range rover.. it may be ceramic but it does say it lasts a few years?

No sealant (not even Ceramic) will last 3 years without maintenance. Autoglym is good cost effective stuff for regular polish and cleaning products.

screenman

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic.
I use a sealant on my cars when I get them " new car " as that's the best time to apply it.
It helps with washing and no need to wax.
Sorry for the crude interruption, back to the arguing :laugh:

Sealants work very well when applied properly, they seldom are. I am often amused by the folk who pay to have a sealant applied and then use the local car wash who happily remove it all for free. Most of the garages I do work for who doa service wash also do the same removal service.

screenman

Legendary Member
Always wash myself, there is jet wash and washing area here at home so it is very easy to do. 400 miles most weeks on filthy Lincolnshire roads means it get very dirty.

Top Bottom