Where do you wash car?

• Yourself

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • Car wash centre

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Mobile service

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Those Polish or Kurdish guys are slaves; if they arrived with a passport it was taken off them and they work for peanuts. How do you think the owners keep the prices so low?

The Polish guys graft their nutts off and I'm sure make a decent enough wage. I very much doubt their is any slavery element to people working in a car wash.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've always washed cars/bikes myself. My wife gets hers done in the shopping centre whilst she shops. She doesn't like getting her hands wet (OCD thing).

I agree that doing it yourself is also a good way to check the condition of exterior things, but I guess many people now do not want to put time aside for dirty jobs.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Glad i am not alone in this
It's only the mud holding the bodywork on...

Mostly we wash it, sometimes it goes to the bus company's washers, who I hope are fairly legit, being based just across the road from various local government offices, but they use some pretty funky chemicals so I prefer not to. Should I vote for the mostly or both?

vickster

Legendary Member
I usually do it myself, which isn't often given how little I drive so she doesn't get especially dirty

The Skoda dealer also does it when Fiona has her annual service in August :smile: This is probably the only time she gets a hoover and a dust

mjr

I've recently fitted an add on HUD. Do car washers cleaning the interior generally avoid snagging the interior cables of such things where they jump the pillar (to get from the windscreen cable channel to the door frame one), or am I likely to end up refitting the cable?

Mr Celine

Discordian
Washing them myself ensures it's done properly with all mud, salt etc hosed out of the rust traps. This also allows for an inspection of bodywork, tyre condition etc.

There was an accident a few years ago (in Wales I think) where four members of a cycling club were killed by a driver who was unaware that his tyres were dangerously worn.
Some of the above posts imply that basic car maintenance is either ignored or left to an annual service. I find this attitude appalling.

Washing them myself ensures it's done properly with all mud, salt etc hosed out of the rust traps. This also allows for an inspection of bodywork, tyre condition etc.

There was an accident a few years ago (in Wales I think) where four members of a cycling club were killed by a driver who was unaware that his tyres were dangerously worn.
Some of the above posts imply that basic car maintenance is either ignored or left to an annual service. I find this attitude appalling.

I hadn't thought of that. Here we (that is, people with cars) have to use summer and winter tyres so I suspect that helps keep the standard a bit better, as a garage will be quick to point out if tyres are substandard.

mjr

Yes, it's almost like we should have some sort of national organisation checking vehicles used in traffic between their compulsory periodic MoT checks and policing compliance. A sort of traffic police, if you will, properly resourced. I wonder if anyone's thought of that? It could definitely improve motoring behaviour.

subaqua

What’s the point
Classic false dichotomy :smile:

Wash the car? What sort of crazy idea is that?

Correct answer . Windows are cleaned before I drive it , as are mirrors lights and number plates . The rest of it gets done by dealer at service time ... it don’t get mucky sat still ...

mjr

Correct answer . Windows are cleaned before I drive it , as are mirrors lights and number plates . The rest of it gets done by dealer at service time ... it don’t get mucky sat still ...
Yes it does. Sand/silt dropped on it from the sky in the fens. Used to get coated with salt in Somerset. Do your house windows never need cleaning?

Mine gets washed two or three times a year. It's not viable to be that precious when you're sharing the roads round here with farm traffic and egotrucks. If I have time I do it myself. If not there's a hand wash in Barnsley that doesn't seem to use slaves so I think that's ok.
I manage to do all the checks without a wash being involved.

Top Bottom