Where do you wash car?

• Yourself

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • Car wash centre

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Mobile service

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
What’s this washing of bikes ... lights cleaned . 20 second wipe of chain ... only time it gets cleaned is at this time of year when I do maintainance

Life is too short.

And yes I have bought cars that haven’t been washed ...

I appreciate that people view bikes/cars in this way but some people like to keep their purchases looking nice by cleaning it. It shows you take pride in your possessions.

It's a 10 minute job so its hardly a big thing.

Jody

Stubborn git
4-5 weeks? That sounds pretty obsessive! Unless you live in a field?!

4-5 weeks as obsessive :ohmy:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another one who washes both mine and Mrs B's. As I think @I like Skol said, an opportunity to check them over, tyre pressures, oil etc. The insides get cleaned regularly too. If I have to travel by car, I like to be in comfortable surroundings, not a dusty/mucky/sweet wrapper/parking ticket laden environment.
I see the cleaning as part of the general maintenance of the cars, in the same way as my bikes or house. Although there are the exceptions, there are not many who would buy (say) a house and not maintain it to some degree. The extent that maintenance will vary from person to person. A car or bike is no different.

BSOh

Über Member
Mine gets done at home at least once month in winter probably more like once a fortnight. The roads get filthy round here. I think that if I'm gonna need to wash the number plate, lights, windows etc then i may as well just wash the whole object.

potsy

Rambler
When I buy a new car I wash it every 2-3 weeks, after a couple of months it goes more like every 2-3 months.

Usually do mine myself, quick rinse off, warm soapy water wash and another rinse.

A guy I used to work with spent 2 hours every Sunday on his, life is too short for that!

vickster

Legendary Member
When I buy a new car I wash it every 2-3 weeks, after a couple of months it goes more like every 2-3 months.

Usually do mine myself, quick rinse off, warm soapy water wash and another rinse.

A guy I used to work with spent 2 hours every Sunday on his, life is too short for that!
You'd be better off spending your time cycling :whistle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
4-5 weeks as obsessive :ohmy:
As has been said already, 4-5 weeks is not obsessive and there are plenty of people who will wash the car weekly. 4-5 weeks is a long (dirty) time in winter but the car may not need/get a wash for the whole summer which sometimes can be 2-3 months if we are lucky.....
I am not a slob and the inside has to be tidy/clean but the wash is more about the opportunity to run my hands over the bodywork and check how it is holding up :whistle:

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5104664, member: 45"]That stuff that dealers try to sell you without you wondering why they don't paint the cars properly in the first place if they need something extra?[/QUOTE]

It's about 50 60 quid trade and that includes the interior protector too.

My son in law gets me it from work.
The dealers sell it applied for around 500 quid!!! It's not a big job to apply.
But I guess they like to make 450 out of a deal , often easy when people are all euphoric in the showroom..and what's another 500 on your new car..candy from a baby ..

It's brilliant , but you must apply to clean wax free paint , so a good clean and a ds-greaser must be used if needed.

Sharky

Guru
Usually washed by myself, but also use the local car wash occasionally.

However, the garage I use for the service, always do a complimentary wash each time. On my last visit, it was just to get a bulb changed, I could not reach down to where it was AND they washed the car as well - all for £11, including the bulb fitting.

Jody

Stubborn git
It's about 50 60 quid trade and that includes the interior protector too.

My son in law gets me it from work.
The dealers sell it applied for around 500 quid!!! It's not a big job to apply.
But I guess they like to make 450 out of a deal , often easy when people are all euphoric in the showroom..and what's another 500 on your new car..candy from a baby ..

It's brilliant , but you must apply to clean wax free paint , so a good clean and a ds-greaser must be used if needed.

Snake oil for the dealer to make a handsome profit and they don't last much beyond a good normal wax. I have used most of them and they aren't worth the money at cost never mind retail.

Ceramic sealant is the way forward if you want something that lasts

Drago

Legendary Member
I do mine every fortnight, perhaps less in a dry summer, more in a smeggy winter. A quick shampoo, leather, and wave the hoover at it takes about 40 mins, and I check the levels and pressures while I'm at it. Keeps it looking good, and by removing the damp poultice of salty road dirt it vastly inhibits corrosion opportunities.

Like Gavroche, I find it therapeutic. I'll slap Planet Rock on my personal radio and take a cup of tea out with me.

Mrs D's car goes to the Kosovan boys maybe twice a year - It's a Motability lease car, so I don't care. Shame it's white!

Top Bottom