Washing a muddy bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
So the bike is caked in mud to the point you can barely identify things like the brake callipers & derailleurs. How do you wash down the bike from there? I was wondering if something like 12v portable pressure washer running between 40-100psi would be a good bet.

darth vadar

Über Member
A few people on here (including me) use one of those garden pressure hose things that you manually pump up yourself.

They cost about a fiver.

Not too powerful and seems to do the trick.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A few people on here (including me) use one of those garden pressure hose things that you manually pump up yourself.

They cost about a fiver.

Not too powerful and seems to do the trick.

That's what I use.

I think blasting mud off tyres, rims, frame and forks is fine, but you don't want to be going near any bearings or you'll risk getting water past seals and washing out the grease. I don't spray the hubs, headset or bottom bracket areas. I'm also careful not to get water down the seat tube. I'm quite careful with the chain too - lots of little bearings that you don't want to de-lube there!

When I've finished washing my bike, I can get 90+% of the water off it by repeatedly picking it up and dropping it onto its tyres from a height of about 10 cm. You can see loads of water coming off the bike when you do that.

To finish, I usually give the chain a quick wipe-down with an oily rag.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
My current cleaning procedure is remove the front wheel, pop the bike onto a mechanics stand. Remove the cranks (yay for GXP/BB30 self extracting crank bolts), remove the chain then rear wheel. Cover the wheels & frame in degreasing snow & leave for 15 min. Then it's time to clean the chain, which I use a nailbrush dipping in a mild degreaser & leave on a clean dry rag. Now it's time to rinse down the frame & wheels which is done with a trickle of clean water out of hose pipe & various brushes to get all the snow off. With that done the chain is dipped in a pot of Finish line cross country & hung up to drip dry. Finally I move to the cranks, after taking off the chainrings I wipe down the cranks followed by the chainrings with the rag I used to suck all the degreaser off the chain with. I then use a pipe cleaner to finish off the rear derailleur & cassette before putting the bike back together sans-chain which I usually leave dripping dry for a further about 3 hours before wiping down & putting on the bike.

What failed today was the snow & rinse down. The bike was still caked in mud after leaving it to soak.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
That's what I use.

When I've finished washing my bike, I can get 90+% of the water off it by repeatedly picking it up and dropping it onto its tyres from a height of about 10 cm. You can see loads of water coming off the bike when you do that.

To finish, I usually give the chain a quick wipe-down with an oily rag.
That's what I do works very well :thumbsup:

just found these two

http://www.wessexwatershop.co.uk/product/hand-water-pump/244

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ECKMAN-12L-WH...emZ180537259625QQcategoryZ29522QQcmdZViewItem

Davidc

Guru
I normally just use a hose to shift the thick stuff, then car shampoo and a glove car cleaning thing from Asda, then hose off.

If its really disgusting (heading that way now) I take the wheels off and use a real pressure washer - with care. All headset and BB bearings are sealed these days but I do avoid directly hitting those. Even take the chain and chainrings off sometimes to give better access.

I always finish off (when dry) with funiture polish and a cloth which helps keep it clean afterwards.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
[QUOTE 1287410"]
Bloodity flip :ohmy: How long does that lot take :wacko:
[/quote]
About 30-45min start to finnish, that does include the 15 min gap after snowing down the bike (which is perfect for getting in recovery food then changing into to old clothes). So it's 15-30 min of actual work depending on how muddy the ride was. The big part of the work is the chain & cassette as the residual cross country does attract dirt like no ones business, though it does keep the chain nice n' supple.

[QUOTE 1287410"]
I am in the shower within 30 minutes of arriving home, although to be honest, I have been known to hose myself down outside as well :whistle:[/quote]
If I'm doing a solo run I need well over 45min before I'm cool enough to have a shower.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Immediatley after a ride - hose pipe and a hand brush ( the type you get with dustpan and brush)

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
I'm chief Bike washer, wash off caked mud with hose and bike brush so you can get between the cogs , then a good all round clean with soapy water and sponge followed by hose then leave to dry before Lubing and oiling chain. DH tends to just hose off mud hang to dry and leave resulting in rusty cogs and chain when you go to use next! :cursing:

U

User482

Hosepipe and dustpan brush, shake off excess water, wipe and re-oil the chain, put the bike away. Job done. Don't forget to wash your shoes.

Muddy Ground

All of the above, but I also use a split-pin on the chain - just pop the chain off if it's really bad and feels rough even after a clean on the bike. Put it into an old milk-bottle, warm water + a little car shampoo, shake and rinse. Dry, job done!

May I suggest not using oil on the chain for off-road use? Wax in summer, ceramic winter seems OK for the mud we have down here in Surrey.

www.muddyground.blogspot.com

Sorry for the lame posting - us newbies have to post a few times before we can do anything fun!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
All of the above, but I also use a split-pin on the chain - just pop the chain off if it's really bad and feels rough even after a clean on the bike. Put it into an old milk-bottle, warm water + a little car shampoo, shake and rinse. Dry, job done!

May I suggest not using oil on the chain for off-road use? Wax in summer, ceramic winter seems OK for the mud we have down here in Surrey.

Sorry for the lame posting - us newbies have to post a few times before we can do anything fun!

Green oil. Biodegradable innit?

EDIT: Love your T-shirt!

Currently, I just use a clean, grit free small car wash sponge and car body compatible cleaner in a clean, grit free bucket...

That and good pat dry and WD-40 after...

Could do with looking a decent hose/washer... :rolleyes:

Muddy Ground

WD40 may be a bit of a no-no. Possibly an urban myth, but a motorcycle mechanic once told me that long term use degrades rubber components.... Of which we have a few on a bike. So I never really use it. It's also a bit rubbish as a lubricant, unless you get it on to your discs or pads!! If I do use it, I spray it onto a cloth first and then use that.

Squirt is biodegradable isn't it? Not sure about the ceramic, but I hardly use any and it dries... dry. Gave up on oil [real or synthetic] years ago as it is just so messy and never lasts. It also helps to have a good quality chain right from the off - XTR or Yumeya chains are worth the small additional expense.

The other thing is, don't ride through the puddles so much!

Thanks for the positive comment regarding the t-shirt! Took me a year to do as I'm not a graphic designer. I'll get some better photographs when I get time. They're just a bit of fun; I could never find any bike t-shirts that I liked and wanted something different.

Remember: there is no "I" in work!

Top Bottom