washing machine woes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Can you get airlocks in washing machines?
I suspect not, the force of the water being pumped would simply push the airlock(if it existed) before it.

Programmer issue maybe ? Not easy to check, but it may be an intermittent output from the programmer, older ones used to use micro switches which can ultimately fail/play up.

Pump first though, you'll need some strong pliers and a healthy dose of patience perhaps to get the clips off, they can be difficult to access.
There may well be a filter as well, check that.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just re reading the OP. Yonks ago I had a problem with a small bore vertical pipe that goes to a simple pressure switch, I seem to remember that pipe had become clogged and caused a similar problem....sorry, it's back in the mists of time so im not sure how relevant it is.

keithmac

Guru
I've seen motors that will stop in a "bad" position and not be able to re-start (comon with worn fuel pumps).

Either re-brush or replace..

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Every now and then, my washing machine doesn't pump out the water which suggests the pump has gone.

I undo the hose on the back and drain it manually into a couple of buckets, reconnect the hose and try another full wash cycle... and each time after I've drained it by hand it successfully pumps out the water, which suggests the pump hasn't gone.

It gets used a couple of times a week and fails to drain itself maybe once every three or four months.

Any ideas how i can suss out this intermittent fault?

It could be the programmer starting to play up, not telling what needs to be told that it is time to pump. I had a similar problem on a machine some while ago.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I suspect not, the force of the water being pumped would simply push the airlock(if it existed) before it.

Programmer issue maybe ? Not easy to check, but it may be an intermittent output from the programmer, older ones used to use micro switches which can ultimately fail/play up.

Pump first though, you'll need some strong pliers and a healthy dose of patience perhaps to get the clips off, they can be difficult to access.
There may well be a filter as well, check that.
aye if it's not the pump then it can only be the programmer, I reckon.

It is an old machine (yet mostly reliable). I've had it for a good fifteen years and it was 2nd hand then.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
aye if it's not the pump then it can only be the programmer, I reckon.

It is an old machine (yet mostly reliable). I've had it for a good fifteen years and it was 2nd hand then.
Losses. Cut. Yours.

Rearrange these words into a well-known phrase or saying.

We just scrapped our venerable Miele because too expensive to get anyone out, never mind repair the bludger! On the flip side, Mrs BFB's delighted with the new generation of washing machine!

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Losses. Cut. Yours.

Rearrange these words into a well-known phrase or saying.

If it can break, it can be fixed, is my motto.

I've no losses to cut because it was free in the first place and in 15 years, it's cost me an inlet solenoid which was about a fiver on ebay.

Anyway... putting the non-handy-person's 'advice' to one side...

I've had the pump off but couldn't remove the cover to the spinning thing due to those bloody torx screws... but i could have a good look in both orifices and could get my finger in (calling @Fnaar) and it appears to be clear. The sump on the rubber pipe leading the the pump was also free of any gunk, but did have a pound coin in... result!

The programmer, I'm guessing isn't really user serviceable... but i'm thinking plenty of contact cleaner and plenty of time for it to dry out might not do any harm.

Other than that, reassemble.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
If it can break, it can be fixed, is my motto.

I've no losses to cut because it was free in the first place and in 15 years, it's cost me an inlet solenoid which was about a fiver on ebay.

Anyway... putting the non-handy-person's 'advice' to one side...

I've had the pump off but couldn't remove the cover to the spinning thing due to those bloody torx screws... but i could have a good look in both orifices and could get my finger in (calling @Fnaar) and it appears to be clear. The sump on the rubber pipe leading the the pump was also free of any gunk, but did have a pound coin in... result!

The programmer, I'm guessing isn't really user serviceable... but i'm thinking plenty of contact cleaner and plenty of time for it to dry out might not do any harm.

Other than that, reassemble.
Don't let my self-deprecation get in the way - I've mended plenty of household stuff, it's just that at 15 years old a washing machine is pretty much at the end of its design life (or well beyond it, depending on the brand). As I mentioned earlier, there have been some very useful improvements in washing machine performance over the last years in terms of their efficiency & effectiveness, so the best thing may well be to take the old soldier to the tip.

Lest you do end up going down this route, the bottom end of the Bosch range get a big thumbs up from Which - and the repair guy we asked for a recommendation, too.

sight-pin

Veteran
It could be a coin left in a pocket, fell in the drum then gets sucked into the pumps inlet pipe and then fall back into the drum when you drain the water out.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Ask the questions on the forum below, they will advise you. I kept a Whirpool piece of crap going for 16 years using that. Re-soldering dry solder joints etc. The last washing machine I got some cheap crap out of Currys just failed with its drum bearings. These could be replaced unlike most modern sealed drum machines, but the utter piece of sh1t was impossible to work on., unlike my old Whirlpool that you could take the front off. I just replaced it with a more expensive Bosch. Hope it's worth the extra money. German cars haven't impressed me for the premium they demand. Hopefully the washing machines fair better..

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forums/

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Don't let my self-deprecation get in the way - I've mended plenty of household stuff, it's just that at 15 years old a washing machine is pretty much at the end of its design life (or well beyond it, depending on the brand). As I mentioned earlier, there have been some very useful improvements in washing machine performance over the last years in terms of their efficiency & effectiveness, so the best thing may well be to take the old soldier to the tip.

Lest you do end up going down this route, the bottom end of the Bosch range get a big thumbs up from Which - and the repair guy we asked for a recommendation, too.
sorry but I'm really not buying your advice. I reckon in five years time, I'll post another thread about how to keep this machine going... meanwhile, you'll be replacing your new washer.

Top Bottom