washing machine woes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Before Mrs Gti winkled me out of my bachelor house I had an old Hoover washing machine, which had already coped with ten years of muddy mountain biking kit and been rewarded with a set of new brushes. It moved with us and carried on coping with the needs of a baby, having a second set of brushes and a reconditioned motor. I was quite adept at taking motors out by then. Mrs Gti began to complain that the old Hoover didn't wash delicates well but I couldn't see how one drum rotating in warm soapy water could do a better or worse job than another drum rotating in warm soapy water. But it had to go as it was out of favour. I kept it going but then one day spotted that cables in the wiring loom were fretting against the case, wearing the insulation flat to the point where it would soon short-circuit into the case, so with sadness I had to let my old friend go.

The new machine is quieter but I can't see anything different in what it does.

I've kept a Miele W864 going for 16 years so far. In that time, it's had a set of brushes and a drum spring. It needs new shock absorbers soon. Front opens like a door, relatively easy to fix.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cheapo Beko is the way to go.

About £200 five years ago so if it conks out tomorrow it owes me nothing.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Cheapo Beko is the way to go.

About £200 five years ago so if it conks out tomorrow it owes me nothing.

If I was getting a cheap machine that's what I'd buy, mainly because Grundig washing machines are Beko, but are re-branded and have a 5 year guarantee. They could have better drum bearings, but wouldn't have a clue. I have a fridge freezer and a cooker by them, and they are both excellent for a modest outlay.

Top Bottom