washing machine woes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Not read the entire thread, but there is often an inspection hatch on the front.

Drain and remove and clean the filter.
Get on the floor with a torch, and with a crochet hook or stiff piece of wire, try to flick the impeller blades to check if jammed.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
sorry but I'm really not buying your advice. I reckon in five years time, I'll post another thread about how to keep this machine going... meanwhile, you'll be replacing your new washer.
I'm not taking issue or seeking to argue with your intent, I'm sorry if that's your perception. I'll let you know if the new one dies within 5 as you predict. :surrender:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not read the entire thread, but there is often an inspection hatch on the front.

Get on the floor with a torch, and with a crochet hook or stiff piece of wire, try to flick the impeller blades to check if jammed.
Yep, that was my earlier advice to MV.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Ask the questions on the forum below, they will advise you. I kept a Whirpool piece of crap going for 16 years using that. Re-soldering dry solder joints etc. The last washing machine I got some cheap crap out of Currys just failed with its drum bearings. These could be replaced unlike most modern sealed drum machines, but the utter piece of sh1t was impossible to work on., unlike my old Whirlpool that you could take the front off. I just replaced it with a more expensive Bosch. Hope it's worth the extra money. German cars haven't impressed me for the premium they demand. Hopefully the washing machines fair better..

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forums/
Our tame engineer reckoned they and Siemens are more reliable, along with Miele. (Although the latter control spares, so when it breaks you need an engineer - and there are no Indys hereabouts due presumably to our close proximity to Miele's UK H.O., which si a bit naughty, we thought)

If there's nothing round the impeller,take the pipe off the back of the pump and feel inside the pump inlet pipe,you may find a 10p piece,they are the perfect size to wedge in the pipe,when the coin is at 90 degrees to the pipe it blocks the pipe, it can swivel in the pipe and the pump will be working fine again,I found hundreds over the years when I fixed washers for a living.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

If there's nothing round the impeller,take the pipe off the back of the pump and feel inside the pump inlet pipe,you may find a 10p piece,they are the perfect size to wedge in the pipe,when the coin is at 90 degrees to the pipe it blocks the pipe, it can swivel in the pipe and the pump will be working fine again,I found hundreds over the years when I fixed washers for a living.

I've had the pump off but couldn't remove the cover to the spinning thing due to those bloody torx screws... but i could have a good look in both orifices and could get my finger in (calling @Fnaar) and it appears to be clear. The sump on the rubber pipe leading the the pump was also free of any gunk, but did have a pound coin in... result!

It's pretty much sorted, until the next time. :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the number one, most common reason why washing machines fail to pump out properly.... simply that somebody has shoved the corrugated waste pipe too far down the upright plastic pipe at the wall, partially blocking it. It's so common that washing machines come with a plastic 180 degree bend thingy attached to the waste.

There is a water level sensor on the back of the drum, which gets clogged with scum and stops the programme from working. Pull it off, clean it out then check it by sucking or blowing and listening for the click from the little switch chamber.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the number one, most common reason why washing machines fail to pump out properly.... simply that somebody has shoved the corrugated waste pipe too far down the upright plastic pipe at the wall, partially blocking it. It's so common that washing machines come with a plastic 180 degree bend thingy attached to the waste.

There is a water level sensor on the back of the drum, which gets clogged with scum and stops the programme from working. Pull it off, clean it out then check it by sucking or blowing and listening for the click from the little switch chamber.
I'll try to remember this next time I drag the machine out. Thanks.

[edit] just double checked the corrugated pipe, that's fine and not rammed too far down the outlet pipe

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Six inches is in deep enough, but secure it in place with vinyl tape.

@Fnaar to the thread please....

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Our tame engineer reckoned they and Siemens are more reliable, along with Miele. (Although the latter control spares, so when it breaks you need an engineer - and there are no Indys hereabouts due presumably to our close proximity to Miele's UK H.O., which si a bit naughty, we thought)

If I knew of a Japanese brand I'd of bought that. I bought the Bosch, a WAN model because the drum bearings can be replaced, and the front comes off it. It had a 2 year warranty too, compared to the usual 1 year. Then again it was around £400. Grundig offer a 5 year warranty and they are made by Beko, so it's not exactly amazing as they are a similar price.

The Curry's Essentials washing machine it replaced was only £150, it is a complete piece of crap though, not designed to be repaired at all. But for the price I can't complain, I got 6 years out of it. But I live alone with my daughter staying at weekends. I'd imagine if this washing machine was in a family with a baby, young kids, it wouldn't of lasted 2 years.

I have read that Miele are good, but they are too expensive. If you forget to take money or other bits out of your pocket the warranty will be meaningless. But if you have the cash, I guess they are worth having.

I don't blame the OP for wanting to repair the machine. If it is replaced it will more than likely not be able to be worked on, as these are designed as a throw away commodity Sealed bearings etc, terrible for the environment... Designed to fail out of warranty, unless you pay top dollar for a Miele. I'm not keen on Siemens, I had a laptop that wasn't cheap by them and it was junk, compared HP and Lenovo machines I have owned/used.

As said above I'd look at the external pressure chamber attached to the drum for this machine. The PCB could have a failing solder joint or something. When my old Whirlpool had that it just wouldn't spin. I just re-soldered it and it was fine. But I guess these can cause all kinds of issues.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Interestingly, despite Which loving Samsungs, Repair Man didn't, and in pretty robust terms!

We got just under 30 years from 2 Miele machines, but because of the practices I explained earlier, have moved away from the brand. New machine is a John Lewis own brand (AEG) and wife is raving about it - in a good way.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
We've got the Miele service contract on ours.

Miele used to make bicycles you know.
Our first had 5+5 years on it, the latter half a special sales incentive, and our second 5 years, so I guess we could have topped that one up to 10, but it was good as gold for 12 years!

Didn't know about the bikes

keithmac

Guru
Ask the questions on the forum below, they will advise you. I kept a Whirpool piece of crap going for 16 years using that. Re-soldering dry solder joints etc. The last washing machine I got some cheap crap out of Currys just failed with its drum bearings. These could be replaced unlike most modern sealed drum machines, but the utter piece of sh1t was impossible to work on., unlike my old Whirlpool that you could take the front off. I just replaced it with a more expensive Bosch. Hope it's worth the extra money. German cars haven't impressed me for the premium they demand. Hopefully the washing machines fair better..

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forums/

Our old washing machine died due to the bearings in the sealed drum (what a stupid design!).

"New" one is on it's 3rd set of motor brushes..

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Our old washing machine died due to the bearings in the sealed drum (what a stupid design!).

"New" one is on it's 3rd set of motor brushes..

You could've bought a whole new drum assembly, but that wouldn't of been cost effective. So you have to scrap it and buy a new one like they want you to.. I asked the question on UK Whitegoods, are all cheap washing machines garbage, basically, yes they are, and was advised to buy a Bosch WAN series machine. Not because it is anything special, just because it can be repaired, the drum is not sealed, you can take the front off.

Having worked on machines before and what a pain it is to get a drum out, basically the whole machine needs dismantled, I'm starting to think that two crappy £200 sealed drum machines might be less hassle than a £400 Bosch. Just have to wait and see if its worth the extra money, and has better bearings etc, or it just a fallacy, I really don't want to take it to pieces in a hurry, so I double check that there is nothing in any pockets at all when using it. I guess I'm doing my bit for the environment, not into unnecessary waste..

Top Bottom