Washing machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Just don't buy one like this

vickster

Legendary Member
Bosch, mine has been going strong for 10 years, as has the identical one my parents have.

this probably the updated version
https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-waj...V0_ZRCh1JDAeVEAQYAyABEgKGYfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

John Lewis give 2 years warranty on all machines, maybe 3 on their own brand?

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I think it’s worth spending a bit more money, our Siemens Integrated washing machine was £850 12 years ago and it’s been faultless, the previous cheap Hotpoint lasted 2 years

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Our Bosch packed up three weeks ago after 10-12 years service. It was repairable but the part was £103, call out charge £50 plus labour to do the job. I knew what to do but wasn't able to do it myself.

We bought another Bosch - the Serie 4 VarioPerfect for £329 plus £20 to take the old machine away. Under lockdown this seemed our best option.

Very pleased to date and would highly recommend. One feature I especially like is the 15 minute wash cycle which is ideal for cycle kit. The kit is never dirty just sweaty.

Spin speed is excellent at 1400 RPM and clothes come out almost dry. Very happy.

Ordered from Curry's on Monday, delivered Wednesday.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My next will be a Hisense as they are the cheapest brand with a 2yr warranty

I bought a Hisense TV for my daughter when she moved into her new flat. It was a lot less expensive than my LG TV and the same screen size.
I was astonished at how good it was, it brought to mind the early Zanussi washing machines which offered outstanding price/performance as they wanted to gain a foothold in the UK market.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Were it me I'd be looking into older models that don't have a sealed drum. Our family machine is a Bosch that must be at least 10yrs old; in which time I've done a few DIY jobs on it to keep it going for not a lot of money.

It did need a new motor (got a used, low-mileage one off ebay for IIRC about £30) as the brushes had worn down so much that the copper pigtails were exposed through the contact surface and had scored the comm, causing a dead short :sad:

Not that I expect everyone to drag out their machines to check the brushes, but it's worth doing if you have easy access since they're cheap and easy to replace - cetainly more-so than the motor on both counts!

Much better than getting yourself in to the modern consumptive doom-loop of having to replace crap every couple of years when it's failed 10 minutes out of warranty and has been built specifically to be irreparable :angry:

Last edited:
Miele here, entry level model. Bigger investment but cheaper for us in the long run (typically last 2-3 x that of most high street brands).

irw

Quadricyclist
We've got a *goes to the kitchen to check* Beko machine too. It's not been going quite as long as the TV mentioned in the current INATV thread, but dates back I think to about 2008, and it spent the first three years or so of it's life in an enclosed lean-to on the back of the house!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We've got a Beko. It seems to wash clothes pretty well and it wasn't expensive. There's a Bosch tumble drier that sits on top of it. It cost a fortune. The filter door on it broke within a month.

Davos87

Guru
Had an integrated Hotpoint for 12 years and yesterday it went bang. Reading above it sounds like it could be the sealed drum bearings as it suddenly started making a very loud grating noise. Got someone coming out on Friday to look at it but it did sound rather terminal and after a decade + cant really complain. Was thinking about going for another Hotpoint but after perusing this thread will definitely consider a Beko. The Hotpoint I looked at on Ao.com was around £307 but the Beko got good reviews and it was £279.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This is the one I have but that same model number now is a newer version. It was here when I moved in, I'd think it was at least 3-5 years old back then so is at least 5-7 years old now. I couldn't be more pleased with it. It has a quick wash cycle which is only 25 mins (at 40c I think), there is no option to adjust temperature on each setting but there are a good range of settings from 30 degress to 90 degrees, and each with a pre-wash or not. I find good tablets and a quick wash does the job really well so I hardly ever use the longer cycles (some are silly, like 3 hours).

I think now 90 degree cycles aren't common because of the environmental impact? But I could be wrong.

Mike_P

Guru
16 year old Bosch which has had the odd part replaced, an antique said one repair man, the next one said it would probably last forever subject to the odd replacement part unlike the current Chinese made lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom