Washing machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Anybody bought one recently? If so, what are your recommendations? Budget up to £300.
Had my Bosch for a few years now with no problems.

Sharky

Guru
Current one is a Candy. Previous one I think was a Beko and our tumble drier is a Beko. All have been good for a couple of years.

We tend to buy cheap - whatever B&Q has in stock. Also don't usually bother with a maintenance plan, just rely on the basic warranty, then throw away if it plays up.

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ wot he said. I sold a Bosch and bought a Beko when my kitchen was being reconfigured and I needed a shallow machine. The Beko washes much better.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just bought a Hoover 10kg 1400 spin for £300 just before lockdown. Added bonus it was 54cm deep so fits under the kitchen units. Most 10kgs are 64cm deep or more.

Lots of quick wash options and it weighs a load and adjusts wash time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Current one is a Candy. Previous one I think was a Beko and our tumble drier is a Beko. All have been good for a couple of years.

We tend to buy cheap - whatever B&Q has in stock. Also don't usually bother with a maintenance plan, just rely on the basic warranty, then throw away if it plays up.
I expect it to last more than two years. This one was a Hotpoint and it lasted at least 8 years and was used about three times a week. Not bad then.
A washing machine engineer told us once to expect to get 4 years max out of them. Wrong on this case.

keithmac

Guru
We get 4 to 5 years out of them.

Normally sealed drum bearings fail which is game over, anything else is repairable.

Current one is on it's 3rd set of motor brushes (Candy) but drum still going strong.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I expect it to last more than two years. This one was a Hotpoint and it lasted at least 8 years and was used about three times a week. Not bad then.
A washing machine engineer told us once to expect to get 4 years max out of them. Wrong on this case.
I got my Hotpoint given (so second hand) about 15 years ago. In that time I've replaced one inlet solenoid thingy at a cost of about £5. Occasionally it doesn't drain, which can be a pain but I think I've sussed that issue out (don't use the whites wash). Not bad for a freebie :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Bekos were on my short list, but I needed one there and then (just before lock down) and the hoover came in fastest and heaviest in the slimmest case and in stock. Straight in the car and lockdown on the monday, having got it friday. So far impressed with it, and it does NFC with my phone so I can look at diagnotics and download new programs to it.

Our last washer was a basic Heier which was reliable but the bearings went. Put up with the rough bearings for a couple of years, but eventually they started to become loose.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
We have a Hoover washing machine, it has been really reliable and is nice and shallow so fits in our laundry room. If we had a deeper machine the room door wouldn’t open.

Last edited:
Top Bottom