Washing machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We moved house about three years ago and inherited a lovely kitchen with integrated appliances.Only downside is if anything has to be replaced there is no choice and it cost a lot more than a normal freestanding model.
Found that out recently when the tumble dryer went kaput.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Waiting for a pair of shock absorbers to be delivered for our hotpoint, 5 years old, hope to get a few more years out of it.:okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Can't seem to get hold of the part needed for my 20 year old freebie... so with much regret, I think I'm looking at buying a new one.

Has anyone any advice on combined washer/dryers? Reading the reviews, the dryer seems to let them down... but for all I know, they could be trying to dry a full load all at once, hence it coming out damp.

Sharky

Guru
Had a combo once. Just that the washing cycle is quite long. If you have separate washer/driers, you can parallel process and have two lots going.

If going for a separate condenser drier, look for where the water collection tray is. Some are at base level. Ideal if you are going to stack them, but if side by side you want the collection tray at the top.

The other downside is that if you get a fault, then both washer and drier are out of action.

MontyVeda

Had a combo once. Just that the washing cycle is quite long. If you have separate washer/driers, you can parallel process and have two lots going.

If going for a separate condenser drier, look for where the water collection tray is. Some are at base level. Ideal if you are going to stack them, but if side by side you want the collection tray at the top.

The other downside is that if you get a fault, then both washer and drier are out of action.
All good points... and i don't really need a dryer as I've been coping with hanging stuff over the radiators for the last 18 years. I don't have the space for a separate washer and dryer, so it's either a washer, or combo

Gunk

Guru
The problem with washer/dryers is they don’t do either particularly well, unless you have no alternative I would always have a washing machine and separate tumble dryer

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Have you got a spare room, or at least somewhere you can use as a drying room? I do all my indoor drying in the spare room with a dehumidifier. Cheaper to buy than a tumble and cheaper to run, although it takes up to 6 hours to dry. They are quiet enough that you can leave it on overnight.

MontyVeda

Have you got a spare room, or at least somewhere you can use as a drying room? I do all my indoor drying in the spare room with a dehumidifier. Cheaper to buy than a tumble and cheaper to run, although it takes up to 6 hours to dry. They are quiet enough that you can leave it on overnight.
nah... small first floor flat so one sitting room, bedroom, kitchen and shared loo. The bulk of the drying happens in the sitting room. Fortunately it's just me so not a lot of washing to dry... one load a week, if that.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
not a lot of washing to dry... one load a week, if that.
then I'd stick to what you are doing. It'll be cheaper and greener to not buy a tumble or combo. Unless you can no longer tolerate hanging washing around the house. Every washer/drier I've used doesn't do bad at washing but is inefficient at drying. And I'm always seeing free washing machines going on FB when someone wants to upgrade to a £600 one with wi-fi. You could get one free I'm sure

MontyVeda

then I'd stick to what you are doing. It'll be cheaper and greener to not buy a tumble or combo. Unless you can no longer tolerate hanging washing around the house. Every washer/drier I've used doesn't do bad at washing but is inefficient at drying. And I'm always seeing free washing machines going on FB when someone wants to upgrade to a £600 one with wi-fi. You could get one free I'm sure
Very true... this is my second washing machine and I've never bought one :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

We had one many many years ago and was not impressed with it. Went back to separates ever since

MontyVeda

Well i've gone and bought one... choice was very limited due to needing one no-more than 55cm deep, otherwise I wouldn't be able to open the under sink cupboard properly. I only hope their dimensions are accurate, because if it's 56cm deep, i won't be able to open the under sink cupboard properly :whistle: And it's got bluetooth, so if it's not loud enough, i can turn the volume up on my headphones :okay:

Top Bottom