Washing machines died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Redbike.

Agree with Miele, but they are pricey.
This site contains within, everything you need to know about washing machines et al.
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/
Takes a bit of searching around though!
Many companies machines all have the same innards but different outers, IIRC Zanussi, AEG, and John Lewis all have the same insides for much of their range. We bought a John Lewis machine to replace our former AEG when the bearings went, one-up from their basic model and it's fine (Keep machines simple I reckon) , extra 1 year warranty for free with JL purchases as well.
Agree 'most' machines are cold fill only.

peanut

Speck said:
We bought a Miele, expensive, clothes come out cleaner and dryer than any other machine we have had and it came with a 10 year parts and labour warranty.

You get what you pay for.

never a truer word said especially about washing machines. Most of them give up because people don't appreciate what a 9lb load is like. They stuff far too much in and then when it gets wet weighs three times as much and ruins the bearings, and motor.

If you get a cheap asda W/M for £85.00 you can probably buy a new one every year for 3x years and it'll still be cheaper than a single Miele :rolleyes:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh Dear! We're not very green for a bunch of cyclists are we? All this talk of buying new machines when in most breakdowns a washing machine can easily be repaired. I had a Hoover, which I kept going for 17 years with new brushes, recon motors, second hand spares and so on, It wasn't until the last breakdown (just worn out brushes actually) when I noticed some cables fretting against the case and about to wear through, that I scrapped it. You need to go to the library and borrow the Haynes Washing Machine Repair Manual and get fixing, they're dead simple; just a collection of parts bolted into a box. Your "heater" problem is easily diagnosed and it probably just needs a new heating element fitted.

I run 4 machines (my house plus 3 rented) and I have changed all over to Bosch as they seem to be trouble free. I would not get Beko Zannusi or Candy.

I buy some things secondhand. You can get a good quality machine for about £70 that has a lot of life left in it.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I dare not mention how old my washing machine is, in case it reads this, :blush: I tihink it was purchased in 1981. :tongue: The motor has been replaced, and the timer. I have found one of those domestic appliance engineers who is excellent and cheap, and finds all the spares on the internet.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well done Speicher, go to the top of the class. You're a shining example of a recycler. You need to buy an old Land Rover next - ours is 1986 vintage and still going strong, only the chassis, engine and bulkhead are original.

U

User482

User482 family wisdom is to buy AEG. The first one my mum bought lasted 20 years! We've all got them now and touch wood, no problems.

One tip I have is to buy the most basic model from the best brand you can afford - they'll be built to the same quality as the more expensive models, and only do away with features you'll never use.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Rigid Raider said:
Well done Speicher, go to the top of the class. You're a shining example of a recycler. You need to buy an old Land Rover next - ours is 1986 vintage and still going strong, only the chassis, engine and bulkhead are original.

When some building work was done on this house, I should have made a list of what was recycled, but it includes.

Large strong cardboard sheets - to a local school for the sides of a wendy house
Small cardboard sheets - to a person who sells second hand books, and he needed them to wrap books in.

Copper hot water tank - to someone trying to make a "waste ground resource heat water pump" - I can never remember the order those words should go in. :wacko:

Small window - to someone building a shed
Large up and over garage down, to the lady down the road, whose garage door was rusty with her hinge broken and no lock.

Acres of bubble wrap - to someone to insulate their greenhouse
Wooden pallets that could not be returned - to someone building a chicken coop. I could go on, but that might get boring. :biggrin:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
We have a Bosch - about 12 years old and working perfectly. I tend to go by the mantra "You get what you pay for.." and normally buy from the more expensive end of the spectrum when it comes to white goods.

Andrew

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Over the years, as I have occassionnally needed to replace things, I have chosen Bosch. As User482 says, not the top of the range, but you at least get good build quality, and they last. If I have needed to call out an engineer, he has either been able to fix it, or if not fixable, there has been no call out charge.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Speicher said:
I dare not mention how old my washing machine is, in case it reads this, :wacko: I tihink it was purchased in 1981. :biggrin: The motor has been replaced, and the timer. I have found one of those domestic appliance engineers who is excellent and cheap, and finds all the spares on the internet.
It's a bit like Trigger's broom! :biggrin:

Top Bottom