Washing machines died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Zanussi has been reliable for us , ten years and only a door rubber replaced, and its used everyday a few times too, it has both hot and cold water feed, but will heat up cold too. We did think it had died once, but that was my fault for not checking the drain plug, it had filled with fluff n stuff and somehow stopped it working, once emptied it was like new again. And spin speed can shorten a motors life our plumber told us, keep it at 1000 rpm, dont bother with higher spins as it does wear motors, just spin twice on 1000 if its needed, but rarely is I find.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If anyone ha a "s" they would like to recycle, I think the title of thi thread need one. :wacko:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmm I could probably do with getting that Haynes manual... mine has two faults:
1. sounds like a nut is loose ... you can hear it rattling around when spinning but it keeps on working
2. recently its becoming very temperamental about when IT wants to work... press the on switch and nothing happens ... leave it an hour or two and if its ok by it then it will switch on!!! (and its not because its just finished one load ... of course it only does this when Mr Summerdays isn't around and doesn't believe me!!!:wacko::wacko:)

Its a Bosch that has been going about 8 years.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User482 said:
User482 family wisdom is to buy AEG. The first one my mum bought lasted 20 years! We've all got them now and touch wood, no problems.

One tip I have is to buy the most basic model from the best brand you can afford - they'll be built to the same quality as the more expensive models, and only do away with features you'll never use.

Hi User482, I'd have agreed, but after reading some of the stuff on the UKwhitegoods website when we bought our J Lewis/AEG clone it seems that is no longer the case. The cheapest AEG may have the innards of a much cheaper "brand" owned by the same group like Zanussi etc.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=129

I correct my earlier statement, according to this the J. Lewis machines are re-badged Zanussi machines from the same Electrolux group... Mmmm, how come it looks identical to the AEG model then except for the name...
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=123
Regardless, works a treat though!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My sister, who like me is an ebay nut, was moaning recently about how everyone seems to have discovered ebay now and 'you can't get the bargains like you once could'...certainly that was her experience when her WM died recently. She ended up getting a bargain through the exchange & mart website. Might be worth checking out.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
summerdays said:
Hmm I could probably do with getting that Haynes manual... mine has two faults:
1. sounds like a nut is loose ... you can hear it rattling around when spinning but it keeps on working

Its a Bosch that has been going about 8 years.

Sounds like the main bearing is going it'll do this for a while and then... kaput!
I think our old AEG lasted many months of rattling before the end.

U

User482

Fab Foodie said:
Hi User482, I'd have agreed, but after reading some of the stuff on the UKwhitegoods website when we bought our J Lewis/AEG clone it seems that is no longer the case. The cheapest AEG may have the innards of a much cheaper "brand" owned by the same group like Zanussi etc.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=129

I correct my earlier statement, according to this the J. Lewis machines are re-badged Zanussi machines from the same Electrolux group... Mmmm, how come it looks identical to the AEG model then except for the name...
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=123
Regardless, works a treat though!

I hadn't realised that. When I bought my washing machine, I don't think AEG were part of that group. It has "Made in Germany" on the front anyway.

Chris James

Über Member
Speck said:
We bought a Miele, expensive, clothes come out cleaner and dryer than any other machine we have had and it came with a 10 year parts and labour warranty.

You get what you pay for.

I am sure you do, but sometimes you get what you don't pay for.

My dirt cheap Whirlpool has been faultless for 12 years. The last three have involved vast amounts of washing as we have two kids who have both had washable nappies.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We had an Electrolux washer-drier that saw us through two moves, two kids growing up and about 15 or 16 years. Only had it serviced once in all that time. Passed it on to someone, still working perfectly...

RedBike said:
Thank-you, thats just saved me a lot of trouble.
The not very helpfull lady in Currys told me their cheap Beko machine HAD to have a hot water connection. - My washing machine is in the garage so there is no hot water connection.

mine heats the water itself, but it must have a hot water intake even if its cold, ie there has to be water going in to pressurise the machine

Globalti

Legendary Member
Since I am about to fit a solar panel to our roof our next washing machine will be hot fill again to take advantage of the cheap hot water.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmmph ... my washing machine was listening to this thread....

its died overnight... Mr Summerdays say it the computer control bit that's gone wrong and a quick look on the internet says about £230 + for the part!!!!xx(:sad:;)

Anyone want to do my washing for me.... before the kids need their school clothes next week.

Top Bottom