Washing Machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Bane of my life these are. We appear to be lucky to get approx 5yrs out of any washing machine we own. To be fair as a family of 5 they get a lot of use. Looks like we have another that’s bit the dust. Is this about average lifetime ?

Bane of my life these are. We appear to be lucky to get approx 5yrs out of any washing machine we own. To be fair as a family of 5 they get a lot of use. Looks like we have another that’s bit the dust. Is this about average lifetime ?
Unfortunately it does seem it now, I bought an Indesit machine in 1991 for about £350 which was a fair bit then, lasted 20yrs with the odd repair here and there.

You can get a washer now for not much over £200 and the average repair is probably £100 so what do we do, scrap it and buy another.

The top brand's will last but you'll be paying much more, Miele etc.

A mate supplies and installs them for a living so he tells me.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Will check the brushes at the back as it could be that. However, it’s could be any sensor on the thing. Think we paid £400 for this one. Going to buy cheaper if I have too this time. Not worth spending the extra IMO .

Will check the brushes at the back as it could be that. However, it’s could be any sensor on the thing. Think we paid £400 for this one. Going to buy cheaper if I have too this time. Not worth spending the extra IMO .
I do that, last one came with 5yr warranty for about £220.

My pal always has the top appliances but he's in the trade so gets them a bit cheaper plus he can fix them himself, he charges £50 for a callout but that comes off the bill if you have the work done but if it's anything major you may as well buy new.

Trouble is then the world's full of old machines!

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I still reckon it would get hammered by us. Coming round to the idea of £250 max and if it get 5yrs , then great.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My washing machines tend to last about 15 years on average. Last one I bought was in 2006 and it finally went bang this year so I had to buy a new one. :laugh:

stephec

Legendary Member
My washing machines tend to last about 15 years on average. Last one I bought was in 2006 and it finally went bang this year so I had to buy a new one. :laugh:

Have you still got this one? 😂

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If you are anything like us it is probably on once a day on average. So over 5 years that is about 2000 cycles. That’s about 20p per wash for a £400 machine.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
It's a long time since I bought the current washer, so this post got me wondering what current prices are if it goes bang now that I've jinxed it. I've had a quick scan and firstly, it doesn't seem to make sense that you can buy a whole washer for a third to a quarter of what a smartphone would cost. (I understand the economics, but that doesn't help where apparent common sense is contradicted).
Secondly, you can buy Bluetooth or wifi enabled washers these days! What?! Eh! Why on earth would I want that?!

OldShep

Über Member
+1 for a Miele
I bought my first one 10 years ago for £50 s/h. I was so impressed with everything about it when son’s 3yo Indesit blew up I gave him mine and splashed out on another, slightly newer, Miele for £100 s/h
Both are in use most days and both still working perfectly with excellent results.

Sharky

Guru
We take the buy cheap strategy as well. They always seem to break at the wrong time and options to get it repaired would take several days. So off to B&q and take whatever they have in store.

Top Bottom