Washing Machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Five years seems about right for a cheapish machine. Years ago I favoured Zanussi as they beamed them in.

what’s cheapish ? Last one I think was about £400 or a bit more.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Our old Bosch died a few weeks ago. I was going to repair the bearings but I thought I 'd better dissassemble it and check before I ordered anything.

Good job I did because as well as being quite minging, the spider had disintegrated along with the bearings. The spider itself isn't replaceable on that model, you need to buy the whole tub and drum assembly which is about the price of a new machine.

View attachment 606077

We bought it second hand and from the look of it someone had been inside the tub before me so it's already had at least one overhaul. Still, we got about five years of washing pooey nappies every other day out of it so that's not bad. Now we have a new mid-range Bosch which is lovely and quiet. I did ask my wife if we wanted a top range one that connects to the wi-fi and your phone but we couldn't quite fathom out why you'd want to do that.

Hopefully soon we can stop having to put pooey nappies through it but we're not there just yet.
Meantime you have a new firepit ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cheapo Beko for me which must be about 10 years old.

I'd take some convincing to spend £800+ on a Miele when a new Beko is £200.

Loads of programmes are of no use to me, and the more the machine has, the more complicated it is to operate.

I set the Beko to a medium wash/spin when I bought it and have literally not changed it since.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Our Bosch WFF 2000 is still going strong after about 25 years of constant use. During this time all I’ve had to do is fit replacement motor brushes, replace the pump and replace the door seal (all of which is standard maintenance that I was able to carry out myself).

We are heavy users of washing machines, family of 6.5 people with 5.5 of them being ladies that have a limited view of re-using the clothes you wore yesterday, hey what's wrong with last week even:laugh:...

Our machines are typically used 10 x p/wk and maybe more, so approx 1.5 x p/day. Animals in the house also add extra strain on pumps and filters.

Overall we gave up on buying the cheaper brands like AEG, Whirlpool, etc etc as

A) they simply break in the 2-4yr window
B) being without a machine for the +1 wk it takes to get it fixed is very inconvenient
C) repairs are always expensive
D) replacement is a headache and takes time when the machine is considered EOL
E) they use more water and leccy

We took a decision to buy basic spec Miele and have now had machines (tumble dryer, washer and dishwasher) that just last. Just replaced our tumble dryer 3 months ago after the Miele it replaced died, it was around 35yrs old although tumble dryers simply don't get the hammering that washing machines do.

My parents bought a Miele washer in the early 90's, admittedly only 2 people at home but it's still going today.

Cheap washing machines also wash the crap out of your clothes ie they shorten your clothes life and we've had 2 washers (AEG and WP) that both were pretty good at occasionally creating nicks of some clothes.

I would seriously look at some base models of the high end brands that will last you 10-15yrs (washing machine) and will save you a ton of money on water and electricity :okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Our second hand barely used Miele cost £170 and lasted almost 20 years, including The Era of Nappies. I think we had it looked at once. Unfortunately it finally gave up the ghost while I was on crutches, so eBay wasn't an option. We did a fair bit of research and ended up settling on a £350 Bosch. So far so good...

si_c

Guru
We're currently running a mid-range Samsung washing machine, which has a 10 year warranty (6 years in so far). If this fails outside of warranty I'd probably be looking at Ebac or Miele simply as they are repairable. I'd rather repair than replace to reduce waste, even if it doesn't work out any cheaper.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Think it may have a heating fault so either the sensor or element. Test mode came up with the e3 error which is heat. Spins/drains did an empty wash cycle at 30c . Just chucked some clothes in on the same cycle let’s see what happens. Think it will be a new machine as it would be a case of replace each component till the fault cleared !

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I would seriously look at some base models of the high end brands that will last you 10-15yrs (washing machine) and will save you a ton of money on water and electricity :okay:

not convinced in saving leccy ?! Water is not metered for me . Power saving depends on what wash cycle. However I’d need a lot of convincing to spend lots of money on laundry. Ours is used heavily.

Our old Bosch died a few weeks ago. I was going to repair the bearings but I thought I 'd better dissassemble it and check before I ordered anything.

Good job I did because as well as being quite minging, the spider had disintegrated along with the bearings. The spider itself isn't replaceable on that model, you need to buy the whole tub and drum assembly which is about the price of a new machine.

View attachment 606077

We bought it second hand and from the look of it someone had been inside the tub before me so it's already had at least one overhaul. Still, we got about five years of washing pooey nappies every other day out of it so that's not bad. Now we have a new mid-range Bosch which is lovely and quiet. I did ask my wife if we wanted a top range one that connects to the wi-fi and your phone but we couldn't quite fathom out why you'd want to do that.

Hopefully soon we can stop having to put pooey nappies through it but we're not there just yet.
Now you've got a nice firepit, make a stand and you're laughing.

@winjim Bosch washer dryer owner here too. We’ve had ours 8 years now and in that time we had one warranty call out for a broken washer setting knob (common error on the model) and one replacement of the bushes and a new hose as existing had split.

We are a family of five and it’s one at least once daily. We are happy with it and hope it will last at least another 4 to 5 years before it needs replacement.

Top Bottom