Washing Machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Think it may have a heating fault so either the sensor or element. Test mode came up with the e3 error which is heat. Spins/drains did an empty wash cycle at 30c . Just chucked some clothes in on the same cycle let’s see what happens. Think it will be a new machine as it would be a case of replace each component till the fault cleared !
Update defo friar tucked :whistle: . Will reserve a new one from Curry’s .

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Those of you with a 10 or 20 year old machine are probably spending more money than those who get 5 years out of one. Machines have become more and more economical over the last years, so economical they need to keep adding stars to the energy ratings.
Personally I always buy the machine that is offering the longest true warranty, not the ones offering 10 years parts warranty where you have to use their repair people who magically turn out to be more expensive in labour than an independent person plus parts.

presta

Guru
I buy washer dryers because I have no room for separates.

Hotpoint 9934: 12 years
Hotpoint WD61: 14 years
Indesit IWDE 7125: still going after 7 years

Miele cost three times as much as a Hotpoint, they'd have to last 40 years to pay for themselves at that price.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Mine is a kenwood. Paid £259 for it. I replaced the pump last year. £30 odd quid. 2 bolts and 2 spring clips held it in. Simple. 4 years old now. All parts still available on the internet. Long may that continue...

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You're spoiling him. 😂

I know. That's just who I am. Generous to a fault

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Those of you with a 10 or 20 year old machine are probably spending more money than those who get 5 years out of one. Machines have become more and more economical over the last years, so economical they need to keep adding stars to the energy ratings.
Personally I always buy the machine that is offering the longest true warranty, not the ones offering 10 years parts warranty where you have to use their repair people who magically turn out to be more expensive in labour than an independent person plus parts.
I agree - I made a similar point yesterday. Washing machines have improved significantly over time, and very noticeably so as we waited for our Mieles to die.

Mind you, it was almost worth the price of admission to watch the JLP delivery blokes' faces fall as they saw they had to take a 'weighs-a-bloody-ton-mate' Miele away when they delivered our new machine a couple of years ago :laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

No doubt the star ratings mean something, but how much more efficient can a new washing machine be?

Motor efficiency barely advances, so unless you believe your new electric kettle is more efficient than an old one, it's hard to see where the savings are.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I hate the noise of belt drive machines, so based on criteria of quietness and value for money, I ended up with a Haier washer. Had it for circa 2 years so too early to comment on reliability but so far it's the best w/m i've had, by a considerable margin.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
No doubt the star ratings mean something, but how much more efficient can a new washing machine be?

Motor efficiency barely advances, so unless you believe your new electric kettle is more efficient than an old one, it's hard to see where the savings are.
I`m guessing its in water usage ? For those on metered water connections maybe ? Anyway , off shopping today or tomorrow. Will take a wee drive to Costco later and see what they have in store for taking away before heading to currys.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I hate the noise of belt drive machines, so based on criteria of quietness and value for money, I ended up with a Haier washer. Had it for circa 2 years so too early to comment on reliability but so far it's the best w/m i've had, by a considerable margin.
Costco do those, hoping they have one in stock to look at.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I`m guessing its in water usage ? For those on metered water connections maybe ? Anyway , off shopping today or tomorrow. Will take a wee drive to Costco later and see what they have in store for taking away before heading to currys.
Higher capacity necessitating fewer loads, lower water usage, better wash efficiency allowing lower temperatures to be used, higher spin speeds meaning less energy to dry in a TD, if used.

Top Bottom