washing up liquid...best bike cleaner ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shooter560

Washing up liquid is for your dishes, if you want to use it on your bike or even you car then thats your choice, BUT washing up liquid does contain harsh detergents and salt both will strip and damage whatever finish you have on your bike/car, not forgetting how well it removes grease from dishes so just think how quickly its thinning and removing the grease from your bearings.

Wax can and does add protection, however nothing will protect from stone chips, well unless you add a plastic coating, like the 3M paint shield thats used on cars, but it will add weight and also dull the look somewhat. Wax is a good quality one containing a high percentage of Carnauba will protect from stuff like surface dirt, tar, bugs and general crap weather, it also helps to keep the finish looking great and disperses water quickly.

If you want a suggestion for a shampoo, try a no tears baby shampoo, this is perfect at removing dirt without stripping wax protection or grease from bearings, even if used at 1 bottle per bucket its fairly safe, but 2 capfuls in a bucket is perfect, it works perfectly as I know, as its what I use on serveral show cars I look after. Failing this try a quality car shampoo, again a capful per bucket, not a gulg. Cheap shampoos are just that cheap, detergents are coarser and also contain salts to bring the costs down.

I only use Swissvax Divine wax on my road bike, its only £1200 a throw, but as its part of my work and the bike only needs 2 coats max a year and still beads water, even though its washed after almost ever ride it makes my life easy :angry:

yello

shooter560 said:
I only use Swissvax Divine wax on my road bike, its only £1200 a throw

:angry: .... but but.... please PLEASE tell me that's a typo... that you meant £12.00... or it's the cost of your road bike... at £1200 a pop, I'd rather lick bike clean wit tongue!

OP
OP
cycling fisherman

cycling fisherman

washing up liquid is 88p per bottle and will last for easy 10-20 washes

Swissvax Divine wax is pants down material i'm afraid at that price, 1200 pounds on wax when my bike in its entirety cost 250 pounds....

let me see....

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I use Loreal, because my bike's worth it!;)

Danny

Legendary Member
Having looked at the list of ingredients on the two different brands of washing up liquid we have in the house, I was surprised to find that salt is indeed listed as an ingredient - albeit a minor one.

However I am not convinced that this is a serious concern unless someone is cleaning their bikes with neat washing up liquid. The concentration of salt must be really low if you use just a small squirt in a bowl of water. Anyway, none of my steel crockery or cast iron pans seems to be corroding as a result of using washing up liquid.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's because they dry off fast on the draining board. Try leaving one wet in the ill-ventilated corner of the shed or garage surrounded by damp clothing and shoes.

just jim

Rigid Raider said:
That's because they dry off fast on the draining board. Try leaving one wet in the ill-ventilated corner of the shed or garage surrounded by damp clothing and shoes.

That sounds so cruel the way you put it.

I weep!

Danny

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
I don't normally use my bike as a drying rack - but I guess it could be a good way to make the most of limited space ;)

Top Bottom