Wasp Nest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
you should get rid because they harm honey bees.

I don't think that's true at all. Wasps are important pollinators, especially in towns, and some plants are pollinated exclusively by wasps.

I get a wasp's nest most years. They never cause me any problem, so I leave them be.

Danny

Legendary Member
i started a similar thread this time last year after discovering we had a wasps' nest in the eave of our house.

By the the end of the discussion I was convinced that wasps do more good than harm as the eat lots of pests in your garden so I left the nest.

The wasps died out over the winter and have not reappeared.

markg0vbr

Über Member
this time of year i treat 10 nests a day.
for diy take one mc Donalds drinking straw, fill with ant powder "any will do" blow in to entry hole of nest something like a Turkey baster would be best. retreat at maximum velocity to a safe distance, it can take two days or so for all the wasps to become ex-wasps.
easy!

:whistle:

just having the balls to do it up a twenty five foot ladder:tongue:

zacklaws

Guru
just having the balls to do it up a twenty five foot ladder:tongue:

At least you have a 25' flying start when they come after you.

Reminds me of when I first started wearing glasses. I went up the ladder to maintain the antenna's on top of my house, as I came down the ladder I looked down, it only looked about 5' foot, so I jumped off, then realised my error of wearing glasses as I peeped over the top of them and discovered it was more like 10' as I braced myself to hit the deck.

User269

If you want to get rid of them it's no big deal, just get a can of foaming wasp nest destroyer. Spray the entrance from a few feet away and retire. The wasps entering and leaving get coated and die. We have a nest or two every year, and every 2 or 3 years it's in a position which poses a nuisance and/or danger, so out comes the spray.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Cover yourself in jam. Chuck a brick at the nest and run. The wasps will follow you, and if you run fast enough, several times round the town, they'll get lost and not be able to find their way home. You can take the bus, though.
smile.gif

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cover yourself in jam. Chuck a brick at the nest and run. The wasps will follow you, and if you run fast enough, several times round the town, they'll get lost and not be able to find their way home. You can take the bus, though.
smile.gif

Awesome - could jump on the bike for a 100 miler

Oh dear, Poor Waspyfecker! His lot really are getting a caning this year, aren't they?

Get the council bods to do it Fossy..Mine got killed last week for £40, and was well worth every penny. (300 wasps /40=0.13333333333333 recurring per wasp, just in case anyone cares..)

Obviously only after trying Fnaars method first, because it'll be funny. :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dealt with a big nest myself last year. Simples.

Wait for a cold night when they'll all be in the nest and dopey. Observe the nest for lack of activity and get some regular ant powder, squirt liberally around the entrance of the nest and then get the feck-out the way. 24hrs later they'll pretty much be all be dead, 48 hrs 100% success.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anybody ever taken out the old nest and cut it open? Amazing, and you'll find live wasps deep inside it as well.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The wife and kids are off to the folk's caravan for a few nights this week, so I'll get foam and powder. They are getting in a small gap in the bricks into the eves of the garage and also in a couple of the mortar gaps between the wall and barge boards. (Only 6" apart) I suspect the nest is in the eves (certainly can't see it inside).

They are pretty quiet in the late evening. I assume foam is better where you can see the nest - but it can be sprayed from 2m away, which gives me time to leg it. The powder would mean getting up step ladders (only about 2 steps though) then puffing it - how much time do you think I'll need before dashing for it.....? :tongue:

byegad

Legendary Member
Some years ago I got one in the coal house and the council sent a man to spray the nest after 48 hours, the time he recommended leaving it, I knocked it down with a stick, they were all dead.
The next year a small one started to form in the same place. I sprayed it with a crawling insect spray which did the trick.

Top Bottom