Wasps Nests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Shame they aren't somewhere where you can nuke them with burning petrol. I have done that before, most satisfying!

Boiling water down the holes good too after dark when they are all inside, they buzz like mad, then it all goes quiet. Just ensure you use a red torch

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Boiling water down the holes good too after dark when they are all inside, they buzz like mad, then it all goes quiet. Just ensure you use a red torch

Can you explain pouring hot water upwards - I don't get the physics - must try that after a few sherbets ! :thumbsup:

Don't mind them usually, but one nest is right above a bedroom window and the other two are above the decking the kids have a den on - and it's in the 'dead' ivy we are trying to remove.

Certainly new nests as they are busy building - lots of clicking noises going on.

Never had any nests in 15 years - that's four now in the last year !

Anyway, going out later with two foam blasters - double barrelled shots to both nests, then run like a loon. :wacko:

zacklaws

Guru
Can you explain pouring hot water upwards - I don't get the physics - must try that after a few sherbets ! :thumbsup:

That's why I said "boiling water down the hole" and not "up the hole" or "in the hole", but no doubt it may be possible, bike pump, styrup pump etc.

waspyfecker

Über Member
Hope the fecker shows up, I've got a rolled-up newspaper ready to thwate him! :tongue:

You can feckin try it- three bikes my aris. Nay feckin bottle more like.......

colly

Re member eR
Shame they aren't somewhere where you can nuke them with burning petrol. I have done that before, most satisfying!

:biggrin: A neighbour of mine tried that with a big nest in his hedge. "20 mins later..........whole hedge a series of blackend stumps, fire brigade in attendance, neighbour covered in stings after his mrs closed and locked the door on him when the wasps decided to fight back.:biggrin:

Funniest home made drama I have ever witnessed.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
you know you don't actually need napalm or petrol or expanding foam or anything.
to get rid of a wasps nest you only need two things

a big stick and legs.

late at night or pref when its raining heavily take big stick and give the nest a damned good whack making sure to crack it open.
then run like a loon ;)

come back a few hours later and i guarantee it'll be gone. wasps who have their nest destroyed pick up and move on sharpish. best way really as then they can still eat all the garden pests.

must admit i did this a few years ago when we had some nesting in our back garden, it was raining and i was pretty well covered, and i started pulling apart the paper/card that had been left and what they were building their nest in (should have sorted that card out sooner) turning bits over until at last i exposed the nest and broke it open.
up to this point there had been at best 10 wasps zipping about getting progressively angrier, when i tipped out the nest about a hundred took to the air in a brillaint double V formation and headed for my face... or so it seemed.
not ran that fast in a while! lol.
anyhoo several hours later all i was left with was some dead waps and some very pretty comb like structures made out of very delicate paper mache.

longers

Legendary Member
Make small paper mache balls and hang them where you think nests will be likely formed.
wasps who see this will believe a nest is already there and leave the area well alone.

pete

I'm going to suggest this to someone I know who keeps getting them in the same area time and time again. Thanks!

longers

Legendary Member
Although they might have to make a few as they'll probably still try and build somewhere they're not wanted.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Poking nests is all very well - but not good if you don't have a clear escape route ! :wacko:

Sorted now - just waiting to 'remove' them. One or two wasps still about.

gary r

Guru
My brother had a wasp nest in a large bush in the garden,it looked like a large papier mache (sp?) ball,the council wanted £50 to come and remove it,being a tight wad my brother approached the nest with a large old suitcase and shut the nest inside the case!!! he took it to the dump,we still laugh now wondering if a council worker opened that case to see what was inside (they always do!)

Top Bottom