Watch out for deer in the woods!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
They don't 'alf shift though don't they - even when it's slowed down the deer still comes flying out of nowhere at a good pace ... :eek:

brodiej

Veteran
We got hit by a herd of mountain goats at the top of a hill in Spain.

They just jumped out of the trees across the road from nowhere - there seemed to be loads of them

Knocked us both of - but no damage done apart from a bit of road rash,

In retrospect it was quite something to see

deer, hah! I had elk wandering across the road in Finland, you don't want to mess with them
reindeer were a pain in the ass - no idea what a bike was and instantly wanted to cross the road in front of us when they saw us. had several very close calls with them and one occasion where a lorry hit one in front of us because the driver had been watching us and had not seen the lone reindeer in front of us but on his side of the road. Also had a moose (european elk) do the same on 1 occasion - they are huge... like a horse with antlers!

Round here there are lots of dead badgers on teh road at the moment - anyone else noticed this?

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I was in a car travelling through Epping forest, and a pony ran out into the path of the car in front of us. Made an absolute mess of the car, I'm surprised that more harm to the bike or rider in the origonal post wasnt caused. Alas the horse had to be euthenased . The car was taken away on a low loader as it had been rendered totally undriveable. My own recent experience with a rogue squirrel caused no such problems :bicycle: My bike and I were both unharmed :dry:

robjh

Legendary Member
Also had a moose (european elk)

Elk or moose, the debate goes on. I prefer elk as it's what the locals call them in Norway (elg) and Sweden (älg), and it's what we always called them until the discovery of America, but I'm fairly agnostic on current trends in botanical naming in English. Anyway, we can all agree that they're big beasts and you don't want them messing with your bike!

Luckily they're quite shy of humans and don't want to be anywhere near you, but if they panic and run into you, your car or your bike it won't be pretty.

robjh

Legendary Member
Alas, all we have to keep us scared over here is bunyips and drop-bears!

Oh dear, you've lost me there (no pun intended)

HovR

Über Member
Elk or moose, the debate goes on. I prefer elk as it's what the locals call them in Norway...

As someone who regulaly visits the Pacific Northwest, this is (what I call) an Elk:
mooseelk2.jpg

And this is what I call a Moose:

mooseelk1.jpg

I really had to watch out for Elk when I was mountain biking in northern California, wouldn't want to get hit (or hit in to) one of them! Had my camera on me a few times I encountered them and got this photo among others.

DSCF0086.png

Top Bottom