Watching an experienced cyclist on our roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi. Hope your all well.
I've had quite an intensive weeks worth of cycling this week. (for me anyway) and today I topped it off with a 61 mile ride. On my return journey this young lady came flying past me, and after a decent sized gap opened up between us, I made a big effort to keep pace but not ride on her wheel. It soon became apparent as to how experienced she was. It's not something I've really studied before in what or in how ,other cyclists road position themselves in. When traffic was behind her and deemed to be a dangerous place to overtake she would deliberately ride further away from the curb, so to stopping them making dangerous passes. Her whole road positioning was completely different to mine and looked so much more fluent in riding a bike. I think I've learnt a lot today by just watching how more experienced cyclists adopt there presence on our highways :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
You'll have to pedal a bit faster the next time and ask her.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Had she of been a He, I bet he would of had a lot of disgruntled drivers slamming their heads against their car horns in anguish, who are keen to kick in their car into lightspeed to make the queue at the next set of traffic lights some 50-100 yards away.

I position myself as such when coming to a potential choke point along a road and even though I can crank my speed up to a modest sprint at 23-25mph for short distances. I still get a lot of drivers honking at me for lack of a better reason.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Some drivers will squeeze through a gap no matter how close and dangerous the overtake is so its vital to take the lane in those situations.

On the other hand some cyclists show little consideration for drivers and hinder them passing even when its safe for them to do so.

That’s the way it should be done. If you position yourself like you describe, it removes any possibility of the moton getting past, without going onto the opposite side of the carriageway, which makes them hold back until they aren’t going to cause you an issue. Unfortunately there are still a lot of clowns, who will not ‘be dictated to, by a road tax dodging, no insurance, bl##%y cyclist’ and would rather drive into you, than be held up for a minute or two. Experience will tell you when you have one of these cretins near you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@johnnyb47 What you describe as road positioning is how I expect to ride. I view this as asserting my right to be on the road and “defensive” riding in the sense I’m more visible to other road users and therefore safer. If those words sound aggressive I should say that is not how I act.

When riding in a group I’d ride differently but solo I apply the following:

1. Always one metre from the kerb. This has three effects most of the surface hazards are near the kerb and avoided. Drivers are forced, in most instances, to cross the centre line to overtake which makes them think much harder. Thirdly if an incident occurs I’ve got a metre to swerve in to rather than straight in to the gutter.

2. When passing parked cars I’m looking in for driver or passengers. I try, though it’s not always possible, to ride a door width from parked cars.

I was once “doored” on a campsite - it’s very painful.

3. When manoeuvring in a manner which requires me to cross traffic, mainly right turns, I behave in exactly the same manner as I would when driving. Clear signals well in advance and take up a safe assertive position. If traffic has to wait so be it.

4. Always attempt eye contact with a driver who may be a “threat.” Again not aggressive but for example a driver approaching a roundabout on which you are riding. Look hard at him/her and you’ll be surprised how much quicker they see you. Same applies on the left. Stopped at lights, junctions look behind you at the driver to let him/her know you know they are there.

5. Tricky manoeuvres in traffic, changing lanes for example, are helped by frequent backward glances. A driver, possibly not the first one, will spot that you need to move lanes and slow down to allow this.

My overall experience using these techniques is the vast majority of drivers are considerate and helpful to cyclists. Everyone who shows me courtesy gets a friendly acknowledgement.

There’s nothing which can be done about the aggressive and idiotic drivers.

Last edited:
I position myself as such when coming to a potential choke point along a road .

Me too. And approaching junctions where I think some nit of a driver is likely to/even thinking of pulling out in front of me, I often actually either speed up, or deliberately give the impression of doing. Am also a great fan of the speed wobble in such situations.

Nice thread start OP.

I do remember in my early days of returning to cycling I used to often ride with some CTC oldsters. I well remember it dawning on me one day that although I was keeping up with them OK I was making heavy going of it - mashing the pedals rather than gently spinning as so many of them were. Years later I did this on the Dynamo and I seemed to float there.

Some drivers will squeeze through a gap no matter how close and dangerous the overtake is so its vital to take the lane in those situations.

On the other hand some cyclists show little consideration for drivers and hinder them passing even when its safe for them to do so.
All very true. On your second sentence I used to ride with someone like this. You do get a few cyclists like that. A very unattractive aggressive victimhood complex of some sort.

Great post above SB. Agree with all of it.

Kind of related to one of your points, on domestic streets with cars parked both sides I ride in the "middle" of the road* very visibly to stay out of the door zone and control the progress of cars towards me in what might be a narrow remaining gap. I can always move in a bit if an approaching driver shows that they are taking care. *When I say "middle" I am still, just, on my side of the line, though of course some nitwit drivers don't appreciate this - they think that they have some sort of right to 80 per cent of the width of the road as I'm only on a bike.

Also agree about thanking drivers - I do it all the time - many many drivers are just fine/excellent and you can't assume anything about them, including often nice folk in white vans. And on the other hand have had reason to give ambulance drivers a corrective bit of mouthing on catching them up - one for using a handsfree mobile, and another just a couple of days ago for giving me a very very close pass.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
@johnnyb47 The type of cycling style you describe seems to be how the National Cycling Standards recommend you ride. This book was recommended to me, and I would say it is a very worthwhile read:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft...TF8&qid=1525762592&sr=1-1&keywords=cyclecraft

You can get it cheaper second hand from eBay or Awesome Books if you don't want to fork out that much.

It is true as others say, that some impatient drivers will try to intimidate you into moving over, but developing the confidence to stand your ground is important as the alternative is getting trapped on the left hand side of the road, and possibly having to wait to get back into the flow of traffic, and possibly also compromising your own safety.

And yes, that thing some impatient drivers do when they try to zoom past when 25 metres from lights or a junction just to be able to wait one place ahead of you, and often end up sticking out to the right of the line of traffic, which must help them get to their destination about 5 seconds sooner (if that) than if they followed you through the junction.....grrrrr!!!!

Top Bottom