Watching Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
Amazing the speeds these guys get up to and it looks so casual and easy for them..
I’ve been watching the speed of pedal rotation they going at and l’m sure l go at a similar pedal speed but no way do l reach the speeds they do ..
Can someone explain why these cyclist go so much faster at what seems a similar pedal speed to us ..

andrew_s

Legendary Member
That's what gears are for.
Same pedal speed + faster road speed = higher gear.

Having the legs for it is a matter of work and training - if I used the same gears as they do, I wouldn't go faster, my pedal speed would go down.
For the riders in the bunch, there's also the matter of drafting - they may only be working 1/5 as hard as someone on their own.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
They seem to have bigger front rings as well because they are much fitter and have stronger legs than all of us here.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most of us puny amateurs ride bikes with "compact" chainrings with 50/34 teeth. The compact gear system is one of the things that helped road cycling become so popular.

Professionals will be pushing a 53/39. This makes the bike go faster!

CXRAndy

Guru
Amazing the speeds these guys get up to and it looks so casual and easy for them..
I’ve been watching the speed of pedal rotation they going at and l’m sure l go at a similar pedal speed but no way do l reach the speeds they do ..
Can someone explain why these cyclist go so much faster at what seems a similar pedal speed to us ..

They are able to turn a larger gear at a high cadence compared to mere average cyclists.

Eg I can turn a 53*19 at 95rpm. A pro could turn a 53*17/15 at the same rpm and still be in zone 2/3 for heart rate whilst I would be in zone 5

It takes lots of training to be super strong and have an enormous cardio engine.

endurance athletes when retirement need a yearr or two of detraining to return their heart to normal size or could possibly face issues later on. They could just continue with a high level of fitness, but it seems alot just want a normal less active lift after professional sports

Last edited:

stalagmike

Enormous member
Their bikes weigh about 2g as well don't forget...

Milzy

Guru
Most of us puny amateurs ride bikes with "compact" chainrings with 50/34 teeth. The compact gear system is one of the things that helped road cycling become so popular.

Professionals will be pushing a 53/39. This makes the bike go faster!
I’m ready for a 52/36 but it’s also important to spin the lower gears much faster for the same speed output to keep your legs fresher for longer. I think 90 rpm should be pretty standard and 105 rpm when really going for it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Cant imagine doing the tdf speeds and hitting tarmac in a pair of thin shorts and a jersey!!

I struggle with a 50-34, i have strong legs but not for turning a crank it seems

Top Bottom