Water Butts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Hi all,

Just wanted to try and tap the hive mind.
I have a water butt (two actually) that I use primarily for topping up the pond.

The taps that came with the butts are pretty useless in that they don't end in anything useful to attach to a hose.
So far I have found a hozelock attachment without tap, which means that I've can create a direct connection between my gutters and the pond, but I haven't found a water butt tap with a hozelock style connector.

has anyone heard of such a thing, or have a better idea for connecting hoses to water butts?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I just use a short length of hose pushed over the tap an held on with a jubilee clip with a hozelock style connector on the end. That way I can chose to fill up at the water butt or run the water down the length of the hose that goes into the front garden from the back..

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I just use a short length of hose pushed over the tap an held on with a jubilee clip with a hozelock style connector on the end. That way I can chose to fill up at the water butt or run the water down the length of the hose that goes into the front garden from the back..
This^^^

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
That's an option I have considered. I just feel that there ought to be a more elegant one!

Gillstay

Über Member
I use an old brass tap from an antique shop with a very short length of hose so all the water goes into the watering can if i need it, or then connect a long hose on to the end of that with a short piece of brass pipe and clips. The plastic ones degrade too easily for my liking.
Also they are just not pleasant to use unlike a brass one.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Water butt used primarily for topping up the pond. Tap permanently on, hose securely connected with jubilee clip, other end of hose kept above level of top of butt until needed. Simple but effective.
Other butts just with taps, used to fill buckets / watering cans as required.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've a pond pump in mine for automatic irrigation of the greenhouse. Reminds me I need to get planting some stuff.
ive started fossy......got lettuce coming already

as for water butts, i need to get one this year and then a 12v water pump running off the solar to the greenhouse and the water butt to be filled via the guttering from the man cave

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I do the same as @Poacher shows in his picture. My hose runs under stones & foliage to a piece of pond liner to make a little stream into the pond. Of course the stream only runs when it rains.
My butt is on the main downpipe from the roof, so it overwhelms the pond(s) if permanently left on.

Top Bottom